Florida newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rboyd365

Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
Hey everyone, I’m a complete newbie to smoking meat. Born and raised in Indiana, been livin in Florida for the last 15 years. Got an MES 30 a week ago and have been having issues with smoke. Will be getting an AMPNS soon. So far have made ribs and drumsticks. Turned out pretty tasty...not much smoke flavor. Seems like it’s taking a lot longer than the recommended times to get my internal temps. Has been pretty windy, don’t know how much that would effect it though.
Love the forum, been lurking for a while. Thanks for all the advice/info. Going to try my first pork loin this Easter Sunday. Hope it turns out.

~Rodney

Reactions: kruizer
welcome from pa, 1st don't trust the mes factory thermometer they are known to be off, try and get a independent thermometer to verify your temps. the mes won't start smoking the chips until it reaches temps around 200. so if your setting lets say at 225 and your thermometer is off by 30-40 degrees your actual temp may be 185-190 which might be the reason your not getting much smoke. amnps tray would take care of that. wind will affect it so try and keep it out of wind if possible. not sure how much the warm florida wind actually affects it but i'm sure it does. make sure to leave the top vent open and no water in the pan.

Reactions: Rboyd365
Welcome from RI!

Pork loin has always been my goto when I want to smoke something that I KNOW will come out good.

The very best investment you can make for your MES is an AMAZEN tray/tube and a dual probe therm.

Reactions: Rboyd365
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky