FLEA INFESTATION!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I buy Brewers Yeast with Garlic tablets from " Cal Vet Supply" . They come in a jar of 5000 at an affordable price. I have a Labrador that weighs 80 pounds so I give him 8 tablets twice a day with his dog food. Garlic keeps fleas away and the brewers yeast gives him a healthy shiny coat. Never had a problem with fleas but my neighbors do. If you decide to try this method I have no idea as to how long it will take for the tablets to take effect but I would say it is well worth doing it. You feed 2 tablets for every 10 pounds of body weight and double up on them in the hot summer month's. I made a bunch of shish kabobs once that had a LOT of large sliced garlic in them. Needless to say we had leftovers for my lunch for a week. We went catfishing at night on the river and the mosquito's were thick but I didn't need any repellant ! They wouldn't even buzz near my ears because of the garlic smell that I was secreting from my pores ! So I learned what garlic can do other than keeping vampires away.

I made a bunch of shish kabobs once that had a LOT of large sliced garlic in them. Needless to say we had leftovers for my lunch for a week. We went catfishing at night on the river and the mosquito's were thick but I didn't need any repellant ! They wouldn't even buzz near my ears because of the garlic smell that I was secreting from my pores ! So I learned what garlic can do other than keeping vampires away.
I've heard that of garlic.
Years ago, I worked seasonally for a bee keeper. First couple weeks sucked as the bees must sense the FNG.
After my titer (natural immunity) build up from getting the crap stunk out of me, ALL insects left me alone.
It was so nice sitting outside watching everyone else getting hit by the skeeters and biting flies.
Didn't notice any tick resistance as they are usually dormant by summer.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
JJ, years back we had an infestation, the dog had brought them in the house. I used this natural stuff and it some how breaks the breeding chain by making them infertile. It worked really well. I set off a bomb insecticide and used this to get rid of the next generation.
Best of Luck.

RG

Thank you...JJ

I'll add this here...
Plague in SW Colorado
"In Colorado, we expect to have fleas test positive for plague during the summer months. Awareness and precautions can help prevent the disease in people," after a slight historical uptick in cases spanning back over the past half-decade, though most didn't result in deaths.

It spreads to humans through bites of infected fleas or through contact with infected animals via the bacteria Yersinia pestis, and causes severe symptoms which have a rapid onset.

We have 5 cats, 3 go outside during the day but they all sleep inside. We are surrounded by cow pasture. Fleas are a big problem if we leave our cats unprotected. We use Revolution plus. A prescription is required but if you log on to Zoetis.com, you can send in the label from the prescription and they will mail you a rebate Visa card. We have not had a flea around for years.

Thanks for the Info...JJ

Reactions: savedbygrace
Didn't read the entire thread, but I use permethrin concentrate and mix my own. I've sprayed my dogs, chickens, and home with it it works fantastic. However, highly toxic to cats.
I also use cattle tags(purple ones) on my dogs for yrs. Lot a guys running hunting dogs swear by them. I wire tie one every 3 months to their collar. No fleas or ticks ever. Think there around $25 for 20 tags. Lot cheaper than the branded stuff. I get both from tractor supply.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I keep forgetting to get the product name from my Wife, but she got some stuff to put on the Dogs coat and it seems to have done the job. The Fleas were falling of dead from the dog in a few hours and 2 weeks later we had not had any jumping on us or the dogs. Ill post what she bought. We will see one or two on the dogs after laying around outside but they disappear quickly...JJ

also use cattle tags(purple ones) on my dogs for yrs. Lot a guys running hunting dogs swear by them. I wire tie one every 3 months to their collar. No fleas or ticks ever. Think there around $25 for 20 tags

Thanks. We are at TSC for Chicken Supplies every couple weeks. I'll have my Daughter look for these.
I think we are up to 20 know since one Hen had 2 of 5 eggs hatch. We have a mix of Jersey Giants including our Roo, Cochins and Golden Comets, super Docile, with a few oddballs Amanda got for $.50 at TSC. She just can't seem to leave the last couple birds behind at the end of Chick Sales.☺...JJ

Reactions: mowin
Ok...30 days ago the 3 dogs were given Capstar Oral Flea Tablets. For a 24 hour instant kill. And Effipro Liquid 30 Day Flea Protection. The combination seems to have done the job as no fleas on the Dogs or jumping on us the last 3 weeks. Day 30 is tomorrow, time to reapply Effipro for the next 30 days.
Thanks for everyone's help...JJ

Reactions: mowin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky