FLEA INFESTATION!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
My 3 Dogs have a Flea problem. At 25 to 50 pounds, bathing them is an ordeal. Anybody have a Sure Fire method of killing these little SOB's that won't brake the bank? It will have to be something that we keep doing/applying until the whole population is wiped out. The Cats may have them now too but they pretty much don't spend too much time were the dogs hang out. The 6 month old Pit/mix Girl still loves harrassing the cats if they get too close...JJ

The one time my cat brought them home we were bathing a brushing the all the time. Got to the point you could see them jumping on the hardwood floor. The problem with bathing is it just kills the fleas on them, their eggs fall off in the house and the whole cycle starts over again. We ended up "bombing" the apartment while we and the cat went away for a few hours. This is more difficult if you have a larger house as you probably need a bunch of these. I can tell you there was not a bug of any kind alive after this.

Ultracide. You'll still have to treat the animals with something though or else you will continue the cycle. Do you have carpet?

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup , you have to treat both at the same time or you're spending good money after bad .
Do you have straw on the property ? I used it for bedding for GSD that stayed outside . The hollow structure will hold fleas .

Thanks for responding. Yes we have carpet.
Emptying the house of people and animals is impractical. We have 4 adults, the 3 dogs, fish and my kids, being irresponsible, managed to turn 3 cats into more than a Dozen. But thats a story for another day...JJ

• Wow
Reactions: TNJAKE
Emptying the house of people and animals is impractical. We have 4 adults, the 3 dogs, fish and my kids, being irresponsible, managed to turn 3 cats into more than a Dozen. But thats a story for another day...JJ
That's a tough one jimmy. Anything you use to treat the house is gonna require you and the animals to leave until the treatment dries. The stuff I recommended is a spray not a bomb so the fish can stay. Before applying any treatment you will need to vacuum vacuum vacuum and then vacuum again as the carpet is the ideal environment for eggs. Still you will need to treat all the animals with some sort of dip or wash to prevent them from bringing them back into the house

yeah, that is tough. I had 2 fish tanks back then, I shut the pumps and filters off and put a big garbage back over them. Everything went fine. Would be a lot tougher now as I have 10 tanks up to 125 gallons (6' wide).
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG

We put Frontline on our 3 dogs 2-3 times a year. This prevents fleas and ticks. The Mrs. says you should do this now on all of the pets as it will prevent further infestation. then vacuum like crazy and get some kind of powder treatment to put into the carpets repeatedly. I think the Frontline will stop the spread ASAP.

Thanks for the additional resoonses.
TNJAKE TNJAKE My wife is waiting on a delivery of some product to apply to the dogs. Tbe Ultracide spray instructions said to leave for an hour. We could hang in the bedrooms until the living room dries. Then switch while the bedrooms get treated...JJ

We put Frontline on our 3 dogs 2-3 times a year. This prevents fleas and ticks. The Mrs. says you should do this now on all of the pets as it will prevent further infestation. then vacuum like crazy and get some kind of powder treatment to put into the carpets repeatedly. I think the Frontline will stop the spread ASAP.
Frontline is a good idea as well. Tractor supply sells a brand that has same ingredients for half the price. We used to use it and worked great. Maybe call in Stanley steamer and have the carpet cleaned with high heat. That way the animals can stay. They are fairly cheap and run all kinds of specials

Had a family member bring his dog over with him that was infested with fleas and didn't bother to tell us. The same problem occurred. We give our dog Bravecto now and haven't seen one flea at all since. It breaks the cycle and everything dies. At $60 a chewable though might not be too practical but it works. Maybe the vet would be willing to give you some samples in return for a good google review or something like that.

Are those piranhas in the bottom pic? Lol
No, they are tiger striped silver dollars from Brazil. I got them shipped to me from a farm in FL at quarter sized, they are now 5-6" each. A vegetable eater primarily. I have had piranhas in the past, they do not quite live up to their reputation in a tank.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Before I started my own Cabinet Shop, I worked for an Old Buddy of mine in his.
He bought on old shop that was more like a Chicken Coop than a Cabinet Shop. He bulldozed the whole lot & built a couple Pole Barns for his shop & living quarters.
However the old shop was full of Cats & Kittens, so He paid a traveling Vet to come in & De-bug them & Fix the adults. I relieved him of the one little Kitten, and took him home with me. He was born in an old Gym Bag, half buried in sawdust. Mrs Bear laid him on a White towel (outside), and gave him 2 consecutive Flea Baths. They were jumping off of him like crazy, by the Hundreds. I couldn't find one quarter inch of skin on that Kitten's body without a sore from a flea bite. I think in a couple more days, he would have been Dead. This was in the Mid 80s, so I named him "Bozo" after the current President, and he lived with us for the next 17 years & 3 months. He was a Great Pet.

Bear

Thanks for the additional resoonses.
TNJAKE TNJAKE My wife is waiting on a delivery of some product to apply to the dogs. Tbe Ultracide spray instructions said to leave for an hour. We could hang in the bedrooms until the living room dries. Then switch while the bedrooms get treated...JJ

We bombed that old Cabinet Shop for fleas, before we bulldozed it, and I don't think you would want to be in any part of the house while another part was being bombed.
That stuff is Bad---Not like running through the fog from the Skeeter control Truck---10,000 times worse.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky