Flavors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chunkymonkey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
So. Im sure this is a "smokey" debate
roflmao.gif
but Electric vs Coal vs Pellet vs Stick Burner.....

Im guessing that as with anything BBQ its up to the preference of the owner/user, but is there a consensus on the flavor differences and final product (in generalities) between the various methods of heat production?

Id guess that Electric is easiest to maintain temps, but might not produce the most full bodied of smoke flavor

Propane is just downright cheating, but in the world of consistency and "instant acquisition and performance" its ultimate in "set and forget" with probably a smoke characteristic on par with..

Coal, producing the most body of smoke with a reasonable ease of temp control depending on your own smoker.

Stick Burner...gonna be the boss in the world of smoke, flavor, but probably the longest in terms of learning curve?

What are your couple of cents?

Stick, Charcoal, Pellet, Electric, Gas...In terms of flavor, this is how l see it. I have to give the advantage to electric over gas in, the watt burner can be set to and maintain 100 to 275 with true set and forget and is not effected by wind, blowing out the flame, or cold because of an insulated cook box. Gassers do have the advantage of smoking at >300°F...JJ

I have to give the advantage to electric over gas in, the watt burner can be set to and maintain 100 to 275 with true set and forget and is not effected by wind, blowing out the flame, or cold because of an insulated cook box. Gassers do have the advantage of smoking at >300°F...JJ
You might even submit that possibly the electric smokers with those advantages you mention might even produce a more thorough smoke and a more rich flavor, seing as they can be held steady for the entire cook?

I don't think anybody is going to argue that a stick burner will produce the best flavor.

As far as the learning curve goes, if you get a quality unit, it is much easier to control the temps.

Al

Stick, Charcoal, Pellet, Electric, Gas...In terms of flavor, this is how l see it. I have to give the advantage to electric over gas in, the watt burner can be set to and maintain 100 to 275 with true set and forget and is not effected by wind, blowing out the flame, or cold because of an insulated cook box. Gassers do have the advantage of smoking at >300°F...JJ
yeahthat.gif
  But the stick burning pit master has to know what they are doing.  I've tasted stick burner smoked BBQ that had almost no smoke flavor.  Two restaurants in town come to mind.    

Charcoal with wood has the advantage of great flavor across a WIDE range of smoking/cooking temps, from below 200F to above 500F, especially with a temp controller.       

yeahthat.gif
  But the stick burning pit master has to know what they are doing.  I've tasted stick burner smoked BBQ that had almost no smoke flavor.  Two restaurants in town come to mind.    

Charcoal with wood has the advantage of great flavor across a WIDE range of smoking/cooking temps, from below 200F to above 500F, especially with a temp controller.       
Same thing as a ski instructor. My clients buy the best equipment, show up and say "just show me around. I ski everything"...ok buddy, lets see if you can keep up.

Ive gathered that a lot of the "Variables" to excellent bbq distill to "knowledge, process, patience, experience"

I am going to give kudos to stick burning but i know I'm biased. I think the charcoal puts out good flavor but not as good wood based coal fire. But really a lot of things depend on the cook. I'm sure there are people who can get wonderful flavor out of electric or propane and some not so good with charcoal or wood. i think a lot of the quality of BBQ comes down to the amount of love and skill put into the food.

Just my $0.02

phatbac (Aaron)

Same thing as a ski instructor. My clients buy the best equipment, show up and say "just show me around. I ski everything"...ok buddy, lets see if you can keep up.

Ive gathered that a lot of the "Variables" to excellent bbq distill to "knowledge, process, patience, experience"
In my first year of instructing, I got a French mother and daughter that spoke almost no English.  I had to teach them using gestures, examples, and motions.  After an hour both could ski down the beginner slope quite well.  Usually, I taught up to age 10.

Reactions: chunkymonkey
@Biaviian I love lessons with middle easterners who have absolutely no physical abilities. notorious for getting a semi fatal injury just putting on ski boots....

Been a PSIA guy for 8 years now, and loving every day I get to "tip and rip, and get tipped!"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky