Fishing the St. Lawrence seaway.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I haven't been to Cape Vincent. Looks interesting. Not as far of a drive either.

Went for perch just up the river near Chippewa Bay many times. Two pieces of advice: get the extra insurance on the boat and don't cross over to the Canadian side with beer in the boat. Neither the shoals or the canadian officials are very forgiving.

Went for perch just up the river near Chippewa Bay many times. Two pieces of advice: get the extra insurance on the boat and don't cross over to the Canadian side with beer in the boat. Neither the shoals or the canadian officials are very forgiving.

Thanks. No. I won't go near the Canadian waters. Not now with covid. I'll be hugging the NY side! Funny how the Candian boats can just come on over to the USA side with no issues. But we'll get slammed with fines if we drift over to their waters. Good old NY. Insurance is a no brainer. When I was in Clayton last year. The boat I was on from the ABM said they'd get fined 10000.00 per person if they drifted into Canadian waters. While the whole time we are seeing Canadian flagged vessels just cruising around on USA waters.

When I use to go up I would buy a Canadian sportsman license, they were only around 10 bucks for a week if I remember right and I was able to fish either side with some restrictions on game fish.

When I use to go up I would buy a Canadian sportsman license, they were only around 10 bucks for a week if I remember right and I was able to fish either side with some restrictions on game fish.

I'm not sure if the boarder is back open. It was for awhile. Then closed.

I've never fished in the St Lawrence, but have been up there many times to go SCUBA diving. The water is surprisingly clear (thanks, zebra mussels!) and in late July and early August, surprisingly warm...usually around 72-73F, with no thermoclines, thanks to the water mixing as it moves around the islands. The big draw are the shipwrecks...ships have been smacking into the Thousand Islands (and the thousand shoals that aren't visible) for hundreds of years, so there are some wonderful historic shipwrecks, unusually well preserved both by the fresh water and assorted shipwreck preservation laws.

I've done dives on wrecks out of both Clayton and Alexandria Bay, but most years we stay on the Canadian side, in or around Rockport. The old Caigers Resort had a whole exterior wall of the boathouse covered in bent props, so the warning to avoid the shoals is a good one. On two occasions, I was lucky enough to see big muskie on dives. Very cool!

Reactions: Steve H
I've never fished in the St Lawrence, but have been up there many times to go SCUBA diving. The water is surprisingly clear (thanks, zebra mussels!) and in late July and early August, surprisingly warm...usually around 72-73F, with no thermoclines, thanks to the water mixing as it moves around the islands. The big draw are the shipwrecks...ships have been smacking into the Thousand Islands (and the thousand shoals that aren't visible) for hundreds of years, so there are some wonderful historic shipwrecks, unusually well preserved both by the fresh water and assorted shipwreck preservation laws.

I've done dives on wrecks out of both Clayton and Alexandria Bay, but most years we stay on the Canadian side, in or around Rockport. The old Caigers Resort had a whole exterior wall of the boathouse covered in bent props, so the warning to avoid the shoals is a good one. On two occasions, I was lucky enough to see big muskie on dives. Very cool!

I haven't done any scuba diving since Hawaii. Sold all my gears years ago. I've heard about all the wrecks in that area. Bet that is fun.

Still getting geared up for the vacation. And that's a good excuse to get more gear! I've heard of the company called KastKing. But never had any of their gear before. After doing some research I found that they are pretty reputable and spoke highly of. And the Royal legend reels are quite popular. So I bought one the collapsible rods, the Blackhawk II and the royal legends II reel. I had telescopic rods in past, long past. And they were junk. This rod is also highly regarded. It is made from 24 ton carbon blanks.

P5100015.JPG
P5100016.JPG
I'm getting this spooled up and give it a try this weekend.

Reactions: gmc2003
Still getting geared up for the vacation. And that's a good excuse to get more gear! I've heard of the company called KastKing. But never had any of their gear before. After doing some research I found that they are pretty reputable and spoke highly of. And the Royal legend reels are quite popular. So I bought one the collapsible rods, the Blackhawk II and the royal legends II reel. I had telescopic rods in past, long past. And they were junk. This rod is also highly regarded. It is made from 24 ton carbon blanks.

View attachment 631593View attachment 631594I'm getting this spooled up and give it a try this weekend.
I have a few of their rods and a couple of spinning reels, I like them.

Reactions: Steve H
Won't be long now, Steve!!
I've never fished near there, but I crossed that "Thousand Island Bridge" a few times. Looks like Awesome Smallmouth Bass territory, and of course Rock Bass, Muskies & Pike!
Have Fun---Stay Safe!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky