Fish Smoking Share - So Far, Worked Great With Salmon, Striped Bass and Bluefish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hansel wenczel

Original poster
Next batch - pictures.  Anyway, I have had great success with fresh, quality salmon, striped bass and bluefish.  Wanted to share, it's not hard.

Wood - 50/50 apple/cherry mix

Brine - Apple juice, water, pickling spice, brown sugar, kosher salt, fresh dill

For 5 lbs of fresh fish filets (skin on)

Mix in a blender:

1 cup water

1 cup apple juice

juice of a lemon

juice of a lime

2 tbs pickling spice, bruised

1/4 cup of chopped fresh dill

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 tbs kosher salt
  • Cut filets into approximately 8 oz pieces
  • Brine 4 - 8 hrs
  • Remove from brine, let spices stick to fish, place on pan skin side down, let dry for 45 mins
  • Spray smoking/jerky rack with cooking spray
  • Get smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Smoke fish 1 - 1.5 hrs at 225 degrees Fahrenheit depending on thickness of filets, looking for that sweet mahogany hue, if you have a water pan, you should be ok with fattier fish like salmon or bluefish, but if no water or leaner fish, consider mopping or a spritz of olive oil in the second half of the smoke time
  • Allow fish to cool under a fan and wrap as soon as possible
Leaving the spices stuck to the fish ensures that every bite will be a little different than the last.

Looking for comments, ideas or other tried-n-true recipes

That sounds pretty good. My boys brought home some bluefish last weekend from the Jersey shore (its in the freezer now), I dont care for bluefish but I've never smoked it so I think I'll give your brine recipe a try, it does sound good.  Thanks for posting it!

I am smoking salmon on my Weber gas grill using the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER 5X8 for smoke. My problem is I want to smoke the salmon at 150°-175° but I can't get my grill lower than 200°. I've got the front controller on low and the back burner shut off. I raised the lid by 2" but I still get 200°.

Any insight would be appreciated.

RFGrillMaster

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky