First venison backstrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
DC40EAAD-DEE2-4E27-8A80-F34D1BCB5763.jpeg
BCE41766-8D41-4BE4-A659-05E5FC9E5167.jpeg
48473CDC-DE66-4EFF-B08D-DE5FBE1A64B0.jpeg
After reading numerous tips and suggestions I ultimately decided to just sear this thing until it hit an itt of 130. Cooked on the KJ at around 500 degrees. Took about 12 mins total. Marinaded it in Allegro overnight.
Served with StoveTop stuffing.

I’ve never had venison before, but I thought it was very good. The only thing I’ll do next time is to make a nice red wine sauce to go with it.

Look, I’ve been hunting my entire life, practically live off back strap and I’m
Not exaggerating. I know how to cook them, and those are some of the prettiest I’ve ever seen.

You cooked them to perfection! I like your sauce idea. I also like bourbon peppercorn cream sauce.

Reactions: bgaviator
BGA, If you get another backstrap try wrapping it in bacon(use toothpicks) after adding a rub to it . Sear both sides(5-7 minutes) and then butterfly it and sear the middle for a minuteor so . divine ! Yours is spot on for color !!!

Look, I’ve been hunting my entire life, practically live off back strap and I’m
Not exaggerating. I know how to cook them, and those are some of the prettiest I’ve ever seen.

You cooked them to perfection! I like your sauce idea. I also like bourbon peppercorn cream sauce.

Yeah, what Saint said. Even the processor of that backstrap deserves credit. Those are hard to remove cleanly. Nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky