First Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erodinamik

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Alamogordo, NM
Since I had to work on Thanksgiving my family and I did it a few days late.  Turns out that is a great time to do it!  Anyway I finally found a bone in turkey breast to smoke.  Following Jeff's guide to brining I brined my turkey breast overnight.  WIth the new expanded metal placement in the smoker box I got my smoker running, and it ran GREAT!!!!  I actually had to manipulate the airflow to bring the temps down.  Once I got the turkey on the temps were still a little high (around 300) but I kept adjusting to get the temp down.  The turkey cooked in about 2-2.5 hours and I pulled it off and wrapped in foil and a towel for about 30 minutes before getting it ready to slice.  Overall it came out decent.  My wife loved it but I thought the flavor could be better and it could have been a little more moist.  I think the high temps dried it out slightly (it was still better than oven turkey) and I have mediocre hickory chunks so it tasted smoky without a great flavor.  I was at Bass Pro Shops the other day and I saw they have Hickory logs, so I am going to start using those I think.  All in all the turkey came out good and it didn't hog up the whole oven all day making the rest of the meal easier on my wife to make.
ba885a89_photo.jpg
7018a620_photo2.jpg

I didn't really think about the warming rack in my smoker so I kinda pressed on the turkey while it was cooking, but it held it up right.  You can see the rack marks in the first picture.

icon_cool.gif

Your turkey looks really good to me and I'm glad you had some time with the whole family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky