First try on ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

David Leopold

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Having a friend over so decided to take a go at spare ribs in the Masterbuilt. Just foiled em.

Hoping this Q view pic will work, also my first try posting a picture:)

2 racks of side ribs cut into St. Louis style. Rib tips from them. Some fresh homemade Maple sausage for lunch up top with some pork shots up there for a snack.

Attachments

• B218FB36-45CD-4FF6-9AB5-1E5721345772.jpeg
    B218FB36-45CD-4FF6-9AB5-1E5721345772.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: gmc2003
After 3 hrs smoking and 2 hrs foiled they got glazed and another 1hr in there. Notice the rib tips have vanished!

Ribs are done now and just sitting in some foil while we wait for the side dishes to finish up. The tips were very tasty, little tough but of course they weren’t foiled and are mostly collagen and bone so can’t blame em.

Attachments

• 7D6EE8F6-1309-43DB-8E7C-96624D7B67A4.jpeg
    7D6EE8F6-1309-43DB-8E7C-96624D7B67A4.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 49
Looks like a successful smoke to me. The tips may have been a little over done. Next time pull them a little earlier.

Point for sure.

Chris

The ribs were a big hit!

Always being the critic that I am of my own food, the only thing I found was the meat on the bones was a little dry. Still super tender and left completely clean bones, but the meat wasn’t exactly “juicy”. The ends with the cartilage were juicier though.

What would you say did it? Too long before the foil? Or the hour after the foil? I’m leaning to thinking maybe 3hrs before foil was a little too much on it.

But man were they ever tasty. It was a Kansas style rub I made up, and a Kansas style sauce I cooked up.

They sure look good from here.
Sometimes you just get a bad rack, I look for ribs that are very well marbled.
I also moved this to the pork section, I think more folks will see it there.
Al

DL, Looks like a full smoker of goodies, did you add anything to your ribs when foiled? It helps sometimes to keep them moist.

Hey thanks for the move!

Ya I did the butter, brown sugar, honey method in the foil.

It COULD indeed be the quality of the pork. This was just basic grocery store meat section ribs, as actual butchers are non existent around here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky