First try at ribs! Enjoy the Q view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goat largon

Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Indianapolis
My rig.  Since I don't have  a smoker I've "modified" my weber 22.5" kettle for smoking.  It works pretty well, just need to keep an eye on the temp and adjust the vents as necessary.  This amount of charcoal was plenty for the ribs, probably could have gone 8 hours or more without adding more.  I used 2 chunks of apple wood and 1 chunk of hickory, with some chips of jack daniels oak barrel.  The hickory might have been a little overpowering, I may try just apple next time or something else.

28488974_IMG_0007.jpg

Baby back ribs, rubbed and ready to go!

2f9d5382_IMG_0006.jpg

After 4 1/2 hours (2 on grate, 2 in foil, 1/2 hour back on the grate) at 225.  I finished the last 1/2 hour at 275 or so.  They were definitely "fall of the bone" and not mushy.  Didn't add any sauce, just some apple juice when it was in the foil.

a45bdfa6_IMG_0008.jpg
818bea29_IMG_0009.jpg
f09737ef_IMG_0011.jpg

Pinto beans with onion, tomato, chicken bullion, rib rub, agave nectar, and cilantro.  It was delicious!

c5ce2e82_IMG_0010.jpg

Looks great! Love Pinto Beans...JJ

Great-looking ribs, and you just gave me a great idea for my beans:  why not set aside some of my homemade rub (your basic brown sugar/white sugar/chili powder/paprika/garlic/etc that many use) to spice up my beans, instead of JUST brown sugar that I normally put in there?

I'm thinking some of my rib rub and I also like the cilantro idea . . . mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!! 
icon14.gif

Pigeye

Great-looking ribs, and you just gave me a great idea for my beans:  why not set aside some of my homemade rub (your basic brown sugar/white sugar/chili powder/paprika/garlic/etc that many use) to spice up my beans, instead of JUST brown sugar that I normally put in there?

I'm thinking some of my rib rub and I also like the cilantro idea . . . mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!  Thumbs Up

Pigeye

Yeah, don't know what made me want to try that but it worked! I fried the spices in some grapeseed oil before adding the onions. Cooked the onions for 5 min then added the tomatoes for a couple of minutes. The added the rest of the ingredients and simmered for an hour. I think the drippings from the ribs are what made them great though!

Thanks for all the encouragement, can't wait to do it again! Anyone have any good suggestions for a rib rack so I can smoke more than 2 racks?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky