First time trying Umai

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mstphrchrstphr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Hi,

I tried dry-aging a striploin today in an Umai bag for the first time.

The vacuum seal didn't seem to seal the bag super tight, but it seemed to be tight enough that their 75-80% coverage suggestion was there.

Now that it's in the fridge, it seems as though there is more air and space in the bag. Is this normal? Could the air/meat shrunk a bit going from warm to cold?

I'm hoping someone has experience with this and can let me know if I should pull the plug and cook it now as it is, or let it dry age. Is it risky to try that? Will it go bad?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok thanks. I was hoping to not have to try it again. The vacuum sealer I have is an automatic version and was a pain to get the bag to register.
Thanks for the input!

I have used their bags several times and they always seem to leave about 15-20% of the bag loose. It tightens up a bit as it starts to age. You can retry it but do it asap, once the bag fixes itself to the skin you are suppose to leave it. All of mine have come out great.

I had someone tell me to leave it if it had a good connection with the meat. It seems to be going well so far. It's stuck to some of the meat now and I'll let it go and see how it turns out

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky