First Time Smoking Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ZeroEvol

Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
What's up guys!?! and ladies!! Okay, so I smoked my first ribs... I have pork shoulder down pat, but this was my first rack of ribs. The woman was very pleased, but I wasn't too happy with them. I did 2 racks to try slightly different techniques. 1 rack I used mustard and then rub, the second rack I just used rub. For my rub, I use brown sugar and Weber Coffee rub. I put both racks in the smoker at 225 degrees for 2 hours. Pulled them, one I spritzed with apple juice, the other I basted with bbq sauce, wrapped them up and put them back in for 2 hours. After 2 hours, i pulled them out, unwrapped and put them back in for about an hour. They were tender, but they really didn't have the bark I was looking for. I think next time, I will not wrap. I tried to upload a photo, but for some reason it's not letting me.

For more bark you need to cut down on the foil time.
And if you can after the foil, finish them on a hot grill with BBQ sauce for just a few minutes.
You will get a nice crust on them.
Al

Reactions: ZeroEvol
For spares I like to have 3 hours on the smoke. Then I wrap for 1.5 hours face down with squeeze butter, rub, and brown sugar. Then put them back on the smoker for 1 hour. Finish on the grill or in the smoker last 30 min with sauce glaze a couple of times. I usually try to hit 195ish just because I don't want them completely falling off the bone. Like a little pull to them.

Play around with the 3-2-1 method. Some like 3-1-2, 4-1-1 etc..more of a personal preference thing. Or just run smoke the whole time with no foil at all! You got me wanting to toss some on this weekend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky