First time smoking a turkey on a pellet smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m watching lol thats on my list along with others lol have not done 1 yet on the pellet but it will strt at smoke for 3 hrs then crank to 350 till i hit 165 or a flag pops out and sez its done

Ya I've done them on my WSM and smoked it for around 4-5 hrs at 275, but not sure how the pellet smoker acts of how mush smoke it actually put out. I started it on the smoke setting and am going to leave it there for 30-60 min to see how smoke it adds to it then will ramp it up. Will post pics when done.

It will get done quicker than you'd think? I bet if you run the cooker @ 220 to 230? Maybe 4 hours? Probably less. Only want Internal meat temps (breast & Thigh) to get to 165. If you allow the temps to get much higher than that the meat will start to dry out. I've recently done them via Spatchcock but the new mode will be rotisserie. Keep an eye on those meat temps and you will like the results.

I did an 18lb full turkey and an 8lb breast on my Timberline 1300 for Christmas. Cooked them at 325° and the breast was done in a abut 1 1/2hrs and the full turkey was about 3 hrs. They came out great and were a real hit.

So I did a ramp up on my bird. After keeping it on smoke for 1 hr then I ramped it up to 225°F for 1 1/2 hrs. I then went up to 275°F for another 1 1/2. When I went out to check it I was out of pellets and was down to 100°F. I finished it in the oven at 350°F for about 30 min. to get it to temp. It was probably over kill ramping it up but the bird turned out really moist. Thanks for all the help!!!
IMG_3395.jpg IMG_3396.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky