First time making link sausage. Looking for good recipes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zachary jacobs

Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Hello all! I’ll be tackleing sausage making this weekend for the first time. Bought a basic meat grinder/ sausage stuffer from Cabela’s, a pack of hog casings and speed cure. I’m looking for a good recipe and any tips you guys may have! I’m Looking forward to making and smoking my own link sausage for the holidays. Thanks!!

Reactions: Zachary jacobs
Did you get a grinder AND a stuffer, or a grinder that you will be using as a stuffer? The reason I ask is that the technique for making the sausage can be slightly different.

It’s a grinder that comes with grinding plates and two different size sausage tubes. I figured it would work just to get my feet wet and then purchase regular stuffer later??

For smoked sausage, I would recommend a seasoning kit and such to start out from one of the reputable suppliers such as Butcher Packer, The Sausage Maker or Owens. You can pretty much pick your flavor, but whatever you do stick to the directions exactly when using cure#1! And don't get one that requires fermenting or dry curing right off the bat until you have some knowledge and have the right equipment to do so.

Otherwise, as already pointed out you can enjoy immediate fresh sausage or brats. Italians are a good one to start with. There are lots of those recipes around here, but I will share my favorite if you want.

Don't (cold) smoke them if they don't have cure #1 in them

Reactions: Zachary jacobs
Thank you! That’s some really helpful information. I did get the cure #1. I did Order a kit to try. But I’d still like to “create my own” after I get my feet wet. I’d love to take a look at your recipe if you don’t mind sharing.

Make sure you do a test patty before you stuff. Really helps to get a feel for the seasonings in case you need to change things.
^^^^ What this guy said!

Often when using mixes or an untried recipe you may end up with too much salt. After mixing up the seasoning make a test patty and fry it for salt and flavor testing.

If it's too bland add more seasoning.
If it's too salty or overpowering on one seasoning then add more meat.

Repeat until it tastes good BUT DO NOT worry about it tasting exactly like what the final product will taste like. Often you are getting the preview of the real thing. The seasonings will still meld together and blend, etc. to give you a different and often the desired taste after all the work has been done. So in short don't worry if the fry test patty doesn't taste like what you think the end result should taste like. :)

Also tropics did you a huge favor by posting the link to that thread on preparing natural castings. Read that and get on soaking those hog casings ASAP the way the thread suggests.

Finally, don't smoke hotter than 180F smoker temp. If you do you run the risk of melting out all the fat in your sausages and ending up with dry crumbly bland sausage.

Best of luck and here are some sausage pics of my items that may help inspire you! :)

Thank you! That’s some really helpful information. I did get the cure #1. I did Order a kit to try. But I’d still like to “create my own” after I get my feet wet. I’d love to take a look at your recipe if you don’t mind sharing.

Well Zachary, you really stepped in it now! Once you have sausage making stuck to the bottom of your shoe, be prepared to track that around for a while! :p Please be sure to take lots of photos and post your adventures!

Here is a link to the thread that was (is) my favorite Italian sausage I have ever had.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133235/italian-sausage-calculator
[@tulsajeff Since the recent site upgrade this XL file in the thread is not working]

I have the XL file on my computer and here is the recipe calculated at 7# of pork butt. You can plug in the math to a new document easily enough with these ratios:

Pork Butt 7.00 lb.
Fat 1.00 lb.
Total Weight Of Sausage 8.00 lb.
Kosher Salt 3.00 TBS
Cracked Fennel 7.00 TBS
Black Pepper 2.00 TBS
Ice Water 5.95 fl oz
Parsley 2.00 tsp
Paprika 1.00 tsp

Anyone that has tried it has complimented on how good it is. It was easy too. I was blown away at how much fennel it called for when I made it. But like many around here will tell you, good Italian sausage takes a LOT of fennel. Oh... and make sure you get some FRESH fennel seed.

Even if you don't stuff it in casings it is excellent to have around for other things like pizza, lasagna, spaghetti, etc.

<Edit: You can add some red pepper flake and/or cayenne to this if you want HOT.>

Well Zachary, you really stepped in it now! Once you have sausage making stuck to the bottom of your shoe, be prepared to track that around for a while! :p Please be sure to take lots of photos and post your adventures!

Here is a link to the thread that was (is) my favorite Italian sausage I have ever had.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133235/italian-sausage-calculator
[@tulsajeff Since the recent site upgrade this XL file in the thread is not working]

I have the XL file on my computer and here is the recipe calculated at 7# of pork butt. You can plug in the math to a new document easily enough with these ratios:

Pork Butt 7.00 lb.
Fat 1.00 lb.
Total Weight Of Sausage 8.00 lb.
Kosher Salt 3.00 TBS
Cracked Fennel 7.00 TBS
Black Pepper 2.00 TBS
Ice Water 5.95 fl oz
Parsley 2.00 tsp
Paprika 1.00 tsp

Anyone that has tried it has complimented on how good it is. It was easy too. I was blown away at how much fennel it called for when I made it. But like many around here will tell you, good Italian sausage takes a LOT of fennel. Oh... and make sure you get some FRESH fennel seed.

Even if you don't stuff it in casings it is excellent to have around for other things like pizza, lasagna, spaghetti, etc.

<Edit: You can add some red pepper flake and/or cayenne to this if you want HOT.>

Erik I have that Calc saved it is an MS Office file I can PM if you want it
Richie

Thanks Richie. But I do already have it saved as well. That's where I copied it from and pasted above.
The XL format is not an approved file type to post or send via PM either. It wont let ya!

Thanks Richie. But I do already have it saved as well. That's where I copied it from and pasted above.
The XL format is not an approved file type to post or send via PM either. It wont let ya!
Okay I don't use XL I have it in Open Office
Was worth a try
Richie

Another tip that really goes for all cooking, but especially for sausage is to use fresh herbs and spices. It's not worth going to all the trouble to make your own sausage if you end up using spices that have lost their punch. Here's a fresh bratwurst formula I've been making. I usually separate the lean from fat to make it easy to measure but you don't need to. The goal for me is around 24-26% fat.

2.8 (45 oz) lbs lean butt
1.2 lb (19.2 oz) lean beef
1.25 lbs (20 oz) Pork Fat
1.5 tbls plain salt
1.5 tbls sugar
1.5 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp mace
1.5 tsp caraway
.75 tsp ground ginger
.75 cup whole milk
7.8 grams phosphate (optional)
1 tsp dried marjoram (optional)

If using phosphate, mix well with milk before adding to other ingredients.

ZJ, I agree w/ the folks that say start simple, you could even just make bulk sausage your first time with no casings. Grind ,season and make patties for the grill ,just a thought. Good luck and have fun in your sausage endeavors!

using a grinder to stuff your sausage will be the most frustrating part of the whole process. I know from experience, be careful are the grinder will heat up your meat and cause the fat to smear. If the mixer has a metal detachable feeder chute and auger housing place it int he freezer for an hour before using it to stuff. Also be prepared for lots of air pockets. If you get bit hard by the sausage bug you will want a dedicated stuffer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky