First time cheese smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cronocide

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
I was tempted the other day for some smoked cheese after talking to my dad and the ol' lady. I've always wanted to smoke some cheese but assumed that I didn't have the right equipment as I have a Pit Boss 820D. I found that A-Maze-N sells the pellet tube and grabbed that and got it today. I have that pellet tube going and 5 pounds of Cooper cheese on the smoker as I am typing this at about 2 hours and 68 degrees in the box. I have read that others rest their cheese for a day in the fridge and others that vacuum seal right away. I'm going to go with the packaging right away and we will go from there. Wish me luck! Any advice would be appreciated.

Smoked Cheese.jpg

Well... I hope your plans work out for ya... Off to a good start ...

The reason people rest overnight or two before packaging is to dry the moisture off it... Especially when useing ice for cooling... Some say wipe/blot it dry... I tried that and didn't like the results as you could see the coating/smoke transferring to the papertowel ...

Let us know the results in a couple of weeks (assuming your resting for a minimum 2 wks) ...

Well... I hope your plans work out for ya... Off to a good start ...

The reason people rest overnight or two before packaging is to dry the moisture off it... Especially when useing ice for cooling... Some say wipe/blot it dry... I tried that and didn't like the results as you could see the coating/smoke transferring to the papertowel ...

Let us know the results in a couple of weeks (assuming your resting for a minimum 2 wks) ...
I am resting 2 weeks minimum. I let the cheese hit room temp before the trip to the smoker and have no moisture on the cheese thus far in the smoke (2.5) hours. From what I've read, the moisture happens when you get above about 80*. I haven't topped 70* yet.

Reactions: zwiller
Not a cheese smoking expert.
I like to cool my cheese after the smoke outside on a rack. Usually outside temps are in the 30's to 40's . Once chilled I put in zipper bags to rest in the fridge for a couple days before vac packing.

Should turn out well for you! Need to try some different ways and length of time in smoke...to find out what you like best. But sure is hard to beat when you get started!

Ryan

Looks like it took on some good color. What happened to that one double stacked piece on the right? Dirty grate? You can slice that part off if you want.

Chris

Looks good and appears you've researched. Most fail to warm the cheese up before smoking and creates the moisture issues. Agree with Brokenhandle Brokenhandle you gotta play around and find out what works. For me in my MES, it's 5-6 hours using dust. All the cheese I used pellets on was just too harsh even after extended aging.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks like it took on some good color. What happened to that one double stacked piece on the right? Dirty grate? You can slice that part off if you want.

Chris
Dirty grate, there wasn't enough room on the cooling rack and it was directly on the grill grate. It wiped off before I vac sealed it.

Not an expert here, I'm still trying to perfect they way I smoke it.
I'm with zwiller zwiller , I found pellets a little strong for my taste. I have been using hickory sawdust.
I also leave it in the fridge at least a few hours but typically over night before vac sealing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky