First Time Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abetheham

Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Michigan
Mother’s Day and my wife’s birthday always fall on the same week/weekend. Lucky for me, her favorite meal is smoked brisket so that’s what she gets every year. I have always smoked the brisket whole in the past, but I’ve always wanted to try burnt ends so I figured I’d give it a shot this time. I separated the Point & Flat Friday night, trimmed them both up, and rubbed them down. After wrapping them up, they were put in the fridge until 2 am Saturday night. The first 4 hours, I smoked them at 225 and then kicked it up to 250. When they got to 160 IT, I put the Point in a foil pan with beef broth and covered. I also wrapped the Flat in butcher paper. The Point was done a few hours before the Flat so I double wrapped that in foil and a towel and placed it in the oven. About an hour before eating time, I cut the Point into cubes, put them back into a foil pan with the juices from before (using a separator to keep the fat out) and lightly covered with BBQ sauce. The Flat was stubborn and wasn’t done until 4pm. IT was 204 before it was done and a probe went through it like butter. Gave that an hour rest before slicing. Burnt ends truly are meat candy. Wow, I will be making them again.
This was also my first time making smoked Mac N Cheese. The wife said that’s a new side that will be on the menu every year.
F626CBD7-4242-490E-A526-1C3A0B9E8D96.jpeg
BA4BB1F8-C6E8-4688-AC39-184ED91403B5.jpeg
95E8D1C8-4C46-4399-BF78-3A745217CB51.jpeg
E1375B1D-2154-4F3E-A01A-38075C18C4A8.jpeg
AF50BC13-FE1C-4243-92C7-9699A93CEEA4.jpeg
EE3927B9-19E0-4D0B-A877-64A505F43A90.jpeg
1AA3107D-29D8-45D9-8BDF-4A624CC00063.jpeg
AFD48D90-3ADB-4FA3-8700-A4CD17F9C5A5.jpeg

Mother’s Day and my wife’s birthday always fall on the same week/weekend. Lucky for me, her favorite meal is smoked brisket so that’s what she gets every year. I have always smoked the brisket whole in the past, but I’ve always wanted to try burnt ends so I figured I’d give it a shot this time. I separated the Point & Flat Friday night, trimmed them both up, and rubbed them down. After wrapping them up, they were put in the fridge until 2 am Saturday night. The first 4 hours, I smoked them at 225 and then kicked it up to 250. When they got to 160 IT, I put the Point in a foil pan with beef broth and covered. I also wrapped the Flat in butcher paper. The Point was done a few hours before the Flat so I double wrapped that in foil and a towel and placed it in the oven. About an hour before eating time, I cut the Point into cubes, put them back into a foil pan with the juices from before (using a separator to keep the fat out) and lightly covered with BBQ sauce. The Flat was stubborn and wasn’t done until 4pm. IT was 204 before it was done and a probe went through it like butter. Gave that an hour rest before slicing. Burnt ends truly are meat candy. Wow, I will be making them again.
This was also my first time making smoked Mac N Cheese. The wife said that’s a new side that will be on the menu every year.
View attachment 395370 View attachment 395371 View attachment 395372 View attachment 395373 View attachment 395374 View attachment 395375 View attachment 395376 View attachment 395377

Looks really good! Smoked a lot of meat and Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans but never the Smoked Mac n Cheese. I guess that's one of the next things I'll have to try.

Looks really good! Smoked a lot of meat and Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans but never the Smoked Mac n Cheese. I guess that's one of the next things I'll have to try.

Those beans are my normal goto for a side too, but wanted to change it up. Since we had family over, figured the Mac N Cheese would go over better with all the kids. The recipe I used is from a YouTube video by HowToBBQRight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky