First time Beef Jerky ! Perfect! O

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slapaho_injun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
B5C5F22F-1B66-43A3-869F-F77A45CC35A1.jpeg
D95FE968-FBDD-4059-AF4D-011498F42070.jpeg
I did a 15# trimmed top round beef roast - 1/4” thick slices - wet brined with cure & seasonings for an hour. Smoked for 5 hrs from 175 - 190 ......Perfect beef jerky. Nailed it.

I did have some help with the brine recipe.

Looks like some good pieces of chew. Have been keeping my eye open for a decent price on either eye of ,top rd, london or something to do some jerky. Just about out. Dirtsailors recipe is up to bat. Had lots of people that really enjoyed last time.

Try it. I bet you’ll love it too.

-Start with a top round roast (about 30#).
-Trim all the fat cap and fattier meat off. (About 15# goes into grinder for hamburger)
-take the remaining 15# the leanest part of the top round and slice it with the grain so the long slices have the grain running top to bottom lengthwise. 1/4” thick slices. I froze the meat for a couple hrs then used a slicer.

Make this brine in a meat tub. Measure everything exact.

1 gallon of cold water
2 oz of modern cure (6.22% nitrate)
8 oz canning salt
1/8 cup liquid smoke
1/4 cup worchester sauce
1/3 cup tobacco sauce
2 oz sugar

Mix brine well so everything dissolves.

Lay all your jerky slices in brine, they’ll all fit and need to be submersed. Should be about 30 slices in a 15# trimmed top round roast.

Refrigerate tub of brine with jerky for 1 hr.

Fire smoker up. 175 degrees. Hickory wood. I use a big propane smoker with a cast iron pan of hickory chips and a split hickory log to start. Used 2 additional hickory logs thru the smoke process. Propane controls my heat & logs are just for a light smoke.

Take slices out of brine and lay on your smoker racks. Just let them drip off any excess brine but don’t pat them dry.

Started at 175 degrees for first 3 hrs

Kept rotating racks each hour for those first 3

Kicked up to 190-200 degrees
for last 2

Only used 2 or 3 split hickory pieces. Most of my heat came from the propane.

Flipped each piece over every 30 minutes for those last 2 hrs

Remove from smoker and put in a clean tub uncovered in the fridge for two days to continue the curing process. Do not cover. The drier prices will take back moisture. You can eat them anytime but the get better and better thru the two days I’m the fridge.

Vacuum seal & Freeze what you aren’t going to eat within 2 weeks.

It’s just pink cure (not Himalayan pink salt, that’s not cure) , some call it speedy cure or modern cure. It has 6.22% or 6.25% nitrites and is specifically for curing sausage. Can buy it at most any butcher shop. It is almost always recommended to use 2 oz per 50# of meat, for making sausage or 2 oz per gallon of water used in a wet brine such as the one I used for this jerky recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky