First spatchcock chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott edwards

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Emporia, KS
First time I have ever done one, this way, and I think it turned out pretty good. I followed the steps for Marvin Lange's Barbecued Chicken, out of the Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book.
I just used lemon pepper and some salt, and the I marinated it in Italian dressing, over night.  I also put on a couple sweet potatoes, so supper is ready way early, tonight.  My fire actually stayed hot, today,

I used some apple chunks, and some oak, on mine.  Yours looks pretty darn good, too.  I had to warm mine up in the oven, because it got done at around 3:30, and I didn't eat supper until later this evening.  I didn't have any beans, or coleslaw, because I've had about enough of that stuff, this month.

Never done a spatchy til the last few weeks and now done two of em. Other than a beer can chicken I don't think I'll do em any other way.... They turn out good for sure Thumbs Up. WHB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky