First spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drifter27

Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
We are going to my father in laws birthday celebration Sunday and I've been volunteered to take ribs I'm cooking Saturday. I'm new at this, the pellet smoker makes actual smoking pretty easy but dont know what kind of prep work I need to do tomorrow after work. Any suggestions are welcome

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Welcome. There is no quick answer here. Are you getting Full Racks of Spare Ribs or already cut St Louis Cut Spare Ribs. Below is a video on Trimming Full Racks for smoking and Full Racks into St Louis cut, if you choose that route. The Rib Tips can be smoked and cut up. They contain little pieces of Cartilage and meat, no bones.

This next video coves Seasoning and Smoking St Louis Cut Ribs using the 3-2-1 method, which is a good method for beginners to get good results. In the video Steve does the 2 and 1 stage in a 225 Oven.. That's a good trick in bad weather. You can also go the full 3-2-1 on the Smoker, weather permitting.
The Plastic Wrap is not needed, if ypu use Hvy Duty Foil.
Some folk add Butter, Brn Sugar, Honey, more Rub, Apple Juice, Rum or Bourbon, in the Foil. The choice is yours.
Rubs and sauces are your choice. Ill include a recipe for a basic Rub and Sauce Below...JJ

This video covers Baby Back Ribs. Only difference is the TIMING. Baby Backs smoke at 225 using the 2-2-1 timing instead of 3-2-1.

Mild Bubba Q Rub (All Purpose, Kid Friendly)

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)
2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)
1T Kosher Salt
1T Chili Powder* (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.
1T Granulated Garlic
1T Granulated Onion
2tsp Black Pepper, more if you like
1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

For more heat add Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there. Makes about 1 Cup

Apply your desired amount of Rub to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator over night.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Rub and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

Note*...Some Chili Powders can be pretty Hot. McCormick and Spice Island are Mild...

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup
1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)
1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
2C Dark Brn Sugar
1T Tomato Paste
1T Your Rub
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1-2tsp Liquid Smoke (Optional)

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.
Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.

Makes 3 1/2 Cups.

JJ has you covered pretty well. What kind of pellet smoker do you have? If you want to add a little more smoke flavor you can look into an a-maz-n (amnps) tray. Easy to use and will add a little more flavor.

The tray doesn't work well with pellet smokers, the tube works well though and can be bought at Walmart for $20, it will help give a little more smoke flavor, heating the pellets in the microwave for a minute or 2 helps them burn better, house will pick up some smoke and may piss the wife off lol

Was visiting a buddy in GA not too long ago and picked up some of Heath Riles's rubs and did some spare and a rack of baby using the 3-2-1 method.

Man did they ever come out good. Used a commercial pellet smoker/grill.

I should of used BBQ sauce for that last hour but I chose to just continue to smoke and allow everyone to add their own sauce later and personally I love them more on the dry rub side anyway.

I love this recipe and might have to give it a go soon if it ever stops raining here!

It's a vertical pit boss pellet smoker that kind of looks like a mini fridge with a glass door.

So for spare ribs pull the membrane, trim what looked a small amount of fat and remaining membrane, rub and cook. Go by time not temp, 3 hrs 225-250, then wet sauce and wrap for 2 hrs, 1 hr uncovered and theyre done?

I have a cold smoke tube, you just blew my mind saying I can put that in whenever I smoke something to add flavor. That's the only thing I think I'd change about this unit, it isn't as smokey as a wood unit

Reactions: chef jimmyj
We are going to my father in laws birthday celebration Sunday and I've been volunteered to take ribs I'm cooking Saturday. I'm new at this, the pellet smoker makes actual smoking pretty easy but dont know what kind of prep work I need to do tomorrow after work. Any suggestions are welcome
BTW - I hope you post some pics of the ribs and let us know how they turned out for. 🍻

So for spare ribs pull the membrane, trim what looked a small amount of fat and remaining membrane, rub and cook. Go by time not temp, 3 hrs 225-250, then wet sauce and wrap for 2 hrs, 1 hr uncovered and theyre done?

It's that simple...If you wish to go by Temp, 195°F is Bite off the Bone and 205°F is Fall Off. Check out this thread by SmokinAl SmokinAl
Good info...JJ

20210417_123148.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
I had to trim a lot more than I was expecting to, hopefully it wasn't too much

It's not letting me post pictures now. They turned out ok, they were a little dry. I had them in the rack closest to the water tray and had them wrapped in paper and not foil, next time I might do foil to hold more in. Might take them off a bit sooner too, I left them in the full hour after unwrapping thinking it would make them fall off the bone more

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky