First Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbrian

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
NW Indiana
So I made my first sourdough after working with my starter for over a month. I had a hard time getting the starter to the correct stage but it is finally ready. The bread was delicious, but not a lot of sourdough flavor. I'm not sure if they will get more sour as the starter ages. It was a simple starter just 60 grams each of water and flour daily.
Sourdough.jpg
Sliced.jpg

Looks good! I got a envelope of starter and directions for Xmas. Guess I better read up on what to do with it, present came from my wife. RAY

Reactions: newbrian
Very nice. You should be very proud of that! Great feeling getting a good SD. I think you get more flavor from holding in fridge before baking. I try to leave at least 24 hours. I starting one today. Been a while since made one.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Very nice. You should be very proud of that! Great feeling getting a good SD. I think you get more flavor from holding in fridge before baking. I try to leave at least 24 hours. I starting one today. Been a while since made one.
are you saying, on the last proof to put it in the fridge overnight? Do you let it come to room temp the next day before baking?

Cold retard in the fridge really helps the flavor. Your starter will get more flavorful as it ages. Could be a few months. Using a mix of rye and whole wheat with the AP flour to feed your starter also provides a good flavor base.

Cold retard in the fridge really helps the flavor. Your starter will get more flavorful as it ages. Could be a few months. Using a mix of rye and whole wheat with the AP flour to feed your starter also provides a good flavor base.
thank you!

are you saying, on the last proof to put it in the fridge overnight? Do you let it come to room temp the next day before baking?
I use a Cast Iron loaf pan and after putting in pan it goes into the fridge but you should be able to do same thing with basket. Goes right from fridge to oven with steam. Here is what I do mostly now but do 100% white flour:

I use a Cast Iron loaf pan and after putting in pan it goes into the fridge but you should be able to do same thing with basket. Goes right from fridge to oven with steam. Here is what I do mostly now but do 100% white flour:

Ok thanks for the link

That process works great for me. If you use the recipe I just go 370 grams on water as I wet my hands when doing stretches and it gets the rest from that.

Good looking bread. I have always been interested in doing this. I may have to give it a go.

Awesome! Big salute to your new amazing hobby and an admirable start😃 I’ve been obsessed with bread lately, but haven’t been as far as you. I’m tagging noboundaries noboundaries as an established SMF expert with obsessive experimentation. He’ll be by soon with keen and hard earned insight. Points fit a brave and killer start, even if you aren’t happy!

Reactions: newbrian
Awesome! Big salute to your new amazing hobby and an admirable start😃 I’ve been obsessed with bread lately, but haven’t been as far as you. I’m tagging noboundaries noboundaries as an established SMF expert with obsessive experimentation. He’ll be by soon with keen and hard earned insight. Points fit a brave and killer start, even if you aren’t happy!
I'm happy with it but just wasn't sure why I didn't get the sour flavor, but with the comments on this post I think I'm on the right track and it just takes time for the starter to get that flavor.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky