First Smoke!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tagger

Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Hey all! :welcome1:

I'll be updating throughout the day!

Here was after last nights prep.

bf4bb5c3743a6646c11959c20310dfef.jpg

And I made it into the smoker this morning.

214850ca2e7930cf0e61cc948c9d76fe.jpg

It's kind of funny. I was nervous to use my weed dragon as my torch but turns out it lit the pellets in roughly 1 maybe 2 minutes. I baby sat the pellets for a little while and put them in my 40" MES.

I don't have a huge amount of meat I am smoking so I put the pellets on the bottom shelf, on the right side, above the heating element.

I put that 9lb Pork Shoulder on the left side of the MES (2nd to top rack) and my drip pan right under it.

Shouldn't be a problem for my pellets.

I took the wood chip slide (the thing that comes with the MES on the side) out of the MES and it still didn't seem to get enough air movement. After being a long time Boy Scout, I can identify when a fire needs some air so I pulled the water pan out just slightly to get some additional air in there.

So far so good. I'm going to babysit it for the first hour just to make sure and then I am going to head into town for breakfast and apple juice!

Later on I'll mix up the ingredients for the cheesy potatoes and finish up the Jalapeño poppers!

6:50 AM Update::yahoo:

Its kind of hard to see in the picture but we have TBS!!! I'm really excited about the TBS. I saw some people have some bad experiences trying to get TBS with their MES grills but so far so good, and it already smells amazing.

Update 12:00 *Lunchtime*

All has been going well so far.

I did a temp check around an hour ago and it was right around 132-135 IT.

I bumped the smokers temp up a little bit.

Checked it again at noon at I was at 146 so the temp up helped (obviously).

I'll let it cruise to 160 then I am going to pull it, wrap it, add in some Apple Juice and stick it back in until 205. :)

Update 2:00 PM

I went downstairs to check the it and we were at 166 :yahoo:

So I took the shoulder out, put it in a new pan, added 6 oz of apple juice, (spritzed it a little and put the rest in the bottom) double foiled the top, and stuck it back in.

Update

So the shoulder was amazing! It was a huge hit. I am really glad I went ahead and used the smoker. Here is a picture of the bark on the finished product.

Update

I did take this image today of the pulled meat. Also, the aroma of the meat is still amazing. I'll be freezing some of this meet tonight for sure. :D

Last edited:
I'm drinking some brews and I just (at 6:10) pulled the shoulder at 204 IT. Letting it rest until 7. That's when the party is going to start showing up. :D

I'm drinking some brews and I just (at 6:10) pulled the shoulder at 204 IT. Letting it rest until 7. That's when the party is going to start showing up. :D

Please post the results of your effort! I'm sure it'll be a hit!

Oh it was amazing!

The bark was so good. Wow. After the wife lays down (she has to work in the morning) I'll jump on the computer and upload the pics!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky