First smoke with new pit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
Elizabeth Ann (named after my mom) was delivered and seasoned on Friday.

Today's going to be wet and can't do any lawn/landscaping, so figured what a better day to fire up the pit and try different fire management techniques, and temp control as this is my first stick burner

So i dug through the freezer, and came up with chicken legs, a whole chicken, skin on pork belly and a untrimed brisket I got from a cow my cousin had butchered a few weeks ago.
I requested it "untrimed" because the last ones were trimmed so well, there wasn't a speck of fat cap. I like a little fat cap. Well this one came with more extras then i cared for. I trimmed prob 8 lbs off of it, and shaped it to kinda resemble a brisked. Im not a butcher, so go easy on me. Lol

Pic of it rolled up in a bag.

Pic after trimming and seasoning with SPOG.

Everything on the pit. Chicken and pork belly seasoned with a sweet and tangy rub.
The pan on top has all the trimmings from the brisket. I poked holes in the bottom so the fat would drip onto the brisket below.

Pit chugging along at 255-260..

nice pit congrats looks like the start of a great cook going on right there 
icon14.gif

Thanks hc. Really enjoying learning the pit.

The whole chicken was pulled at 163 breast, 156 thigh.

Flavor was great. Thighs were very juicy, however the white meat was on
the dry side. This bird wasn't brined, so kinda expected that.

all looks great... grats on the new pit... may I suggest next time just put the fat above brisket straight on the grate...

all looks great... grats on the new pit... may I suggest next time just put the fat above brisket straight on the grate...

Thanks. I figured the cleanup would be easier with them in a pan. But realistically it probably wouldn't make a difference.

Brisket came out great. I wanted to pull this one and vac seal portions for chilli. So i went longer then probe tender. Pulled it at 210* and 11 hrs later. It fell apart. Lol. Flavor was great, i was worried it would have a strong smoke flavor, but it was great. I used cherry for the entire cook

I'm happy with the first cook on this pit, and my first cook with a stick burner. I learned a lot, and im sure I'll only get better with time.

Thanks for looking...

Looks like you had fun! How often do you need to add wood? How much wood did you use total?

I probably used 15-18 sticks once it got up to temp. Depending on the split, probably had to add every 40 min or so. Think oak or hickory would have lasted a little longer.

Put the meat on at 8am, added the last split at 6 pm. Pulled the brisket around 7pm.

Everything looks delicious!

That's a great looking pit!

Is that a propane log starter that it has built into the firebox?

It looks pretty cool!

Al

Everything looks delicious!

That's a great looking pit!

Is that a propane log starter that it has built into the firebox?

It looks pretty cool!

Al

Thanks Al.

Yes it is a propane fire starter. I did use it to dry the pit before seasoning after I took it to the car wash to get rid of the manufacturing/cutting oils.
I went with a charcoal chimney to get the fire started tho. Wasnt sure if the RO lump was going to leave a funny smell if i used the propane.

man looks like you had  a ton of fun firing it up the first time! totes  jealous cant wait to get a  bigger smoker like that myself,  congrats again everything looked good 
icon14.gif

man looks like you had  a ton of fun firing it up the first time! totes  jealous cant wait to get a  bigger smoker like that myself,  congrats again everything looked good Thumbs Up

Thanks ck.

I'm definitely going to enjoy cooking on this pit.

Congrats on the new pit mowin.  I really looks great, and obviously does put out some excellent Q.

Gary 

Thanks Gary.

So cool..
How much ground clearance would you say is under the fire box there? It won't be scraping on any driveway inclines will it? That is sweet!

Thanks..,
I've got a 6” drop hitch on my '17 3500 RAM, and I'm still 2” nose high. So with the proper hitch, I'd have around 8” of clearance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky