First smoke on new PitBoss Austin XL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
This will be my first smoke on the Austin XL, I'm doing up a boneless butt and a rack of babybacks. I'll probably end up babysitting it just to make sure it doesn't go out on me( for what reason I dont know).

Rubs:
d.jpg

For the butt I dry brined it for 24 hours with a mixture of salt and sugar, then I washed it off and did a base layer of paprika, garlic and pepper and for the main rub I used my everglades cactus dust( one of my favorite!)

for the ribs I used mustard as a binder with the same base layer but I wanted to try something different for the main layer so I went to my stock pile of rubs I've gotta over the years and found this.... Pig's ASS RUB. It's suppose to be a Memphis style rub but man does it have some vinegar aspect to it... its like opening a bag of salt n vinegar chips and sticking your head into the bag and smelling! But I thought why not.

smoker:
c.jpg
a.jpg
b.jpg

the Butt was still a little frozen in the middle so I guess I should expect a longer cook than normal but I think once I get up to 150 internal, I'll wrap it and crank it up to 300 to speed it along( wish it did have a 275). This will be the first time I actually use the build it probes as well( it has two, I'm only using one for the butt) and I got to admit that its pretty sweet.

If I remember to post a finish product, I will but I might end up forgetting( wont try).

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Congrats on the new rig. Good luck with the cook and keep us posted. I love my pellet cooker.

Yes for Christmas... ribs got done 2 hours ago... they were good... not enough smoke flavor on them but good the butt is wrapped and back on at 300

How long were the ribs on and how did you do them?

A lot of people will say that pellet cookers do not put out enough smoke. Personally, my Traeger has been fine for our liking. I would suggest getting an A-MAZE-N pellet tube smoker to add more smoke (the tube style, not the tray).

Interested to hear how you did them and what kind of pellets you used. Did you use 3-2-1 method? Getting ready for my first cook on my Austin xl this week.

Interested to hear how you did them and what kind of pellets you used. Did you use 3-2-1 method? Getting ready for my first cook on my Austin xl this week.

I did a 3-1-1... since I was smoking at 250 and not 225 and with Babybacks and not spare ribs... The ribs would get too tender if I'd leave them in the foil for any longer... like illini40 said pellet grills are known for not putting out enough smoke. BUT that's where the Austin xl comes into play. we can adjust the P-setting to increase or decrease the amount of smoke depending on the climate we are smoking in( temperature, humidity, elevation etc). I'd first see what the factory setting does for you. I used the BBQ Hardwood competition blend pellets by pitboss( blue bag)

Reactions: barney9
Congrats love my Austin LX going to use it to cook a few steaks here shortly

Congrats on the new smoker. It looks like your break'in it in right.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky