FIRST Smoke: BB Ribs and Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big bad rog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Earth
Today is my first smoke. Its a Smoke Hollow 30" Propane. Holding between 225-230, although it took a while to get here but I am doing my first smoke under falling snow... You will notice on the inside right, thanks to your tips, I've placed a remote thermometer into a drilled wood block.

Please check out the q-view.

I have a couple questions:

1) How much smoke is the right amount? I seem to have a lot of smoke seepage from the edges of the door.

2) I had to stack / overlap the ribs a little due to small(er) shelves, is this not good, guessing that there should be smoke flow around the ribs?

3) I'm using pecan chips, assuming I wrap 1/2 rack of the ribs at 2hrs (because I don't prefer them falling off the bones), how long should I be "smoking" along with the heat?

Now I need to exercise patience.

c97cd1ee_SnowSmokin.jpg

8f8ba869_Ribs.jpg
3b761c68_Butt.jpg
a89ff198_Justin.jpg

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well everything looks good so far. How's that smoker holding temp in that weather???

Well....... but I noticed something and I'm not sure if it is because of the rising temps of the meats. For the 1st 3 hours I was able to keep it between 225-230. After the 3rd hour it kept creeping up to 250. Note: outside air temp is approx. 28, stopped snowing 3 hours into smoke. Since I was on the lowest setting and the internal temp dropped so fast when I opened it, I did the unscientific thing of opening the door for 30 seconds to check on the chips and water - and it would drop to 220; did this twice and once again after the ribs were out and the butt remained. Just pulled the butt at midnight and letting it rest until 2 and then in the fridge, bed for me. My only concern is ow much hotter it might run in 80-90 degree summer, but I don't have to worry about this just yet.

In the future I would look into a rib rack. You can pick one up at most places selling BBQ equipment. A rack would help you gain some space and then you won't have to over lap your ribs. Very inexpensive solution to your space problem.

I second the rib rack. Was there water in that foiled pan? I think the water should keep the temp from spiking like that. Also, I'm not familiar with your smoker, but it sure looks like that burner can be dialed down a bit. In the pic it looks like it's on high. There are a lot of guys with gassers here that should be along soon to offer more advice. I guess if all else fails opening the door once in a while to get the temp down is OK.

I think rib racks and 1 or 2 more shelves are a good idea.

There was water in the pan.

All in all the ribs and butt were pretty tasty.

Thanks guys.

As to your smoke. You don't want the bellowing white smoke. That's will create a cresote taste. Just a nice trace of smoke (perferably bluish) someitmes you won't even see it. If you smell it it's working!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky