• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First shot at pulled pork

sirsquatch

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 24, 2016
Tried my hand at pulled pork over the weekend. Used Costco boneless pork butts, ended up about 14lbs total. I went pretty simple with my rub, used homemade mustard as a binder, salt and pepper. I put in a water pan with 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar as I was going to be cooking this overnight and wouldn't be able to mob/spray it on a regular basis. Didn't take as many pictures as I wanted but got a few quality isn't great sorry about that.

Rubbed and ready for the smoker:

After about 12 hours, temp was about 185

Another 2 hours and we were at 198 but nice and tender so I pulled them to rest

After resting for 2 hours I pulled it. I used a pretty simple finishing sauce of vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. 

All in all I think it came out well for my first shot. Family seemed to like it as there isn't any left so I think I'll just be forced into doing it again!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That's some good looking PP!

Nice job!

Al

slipaway

Meat Mopper
Joined May 28, 2014
Great looking PP - especially for your first time.

I like the fact that you used temperature and not just time to tell when it was finished.

Cue is done when it's done, and you proved it. Also the resting for 2 hours (wrapped I presume) is that last  piece of the puzzle that many people ignore.

Again, Great Job.................  

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Nice job for a first it looks real good.

Richie

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Great work for sure!

Here's a point for your first!

Welcome to the madness!

sirsquatch

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 24, 2016

Great looking PP - especially for your first time.

I like the fact that you used temperature and not just time to tell when it was finished.

Cue is done when it's done, and you proved it. Also the resting for 2 hours (wrapped I presume) is that last  piece of the puzzle that many people ignore.

Again, Great Job.................  
Thanks!

Yes I wrapped and put some of the finishing sauce in with them while resting. 

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
For that being your first shot, I would say you hit the bullseye...Nice smoke!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.