First run baby backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newqreview

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014

My new pellet pro arrived today. Shipped it to the office for the dock as shipping weight was 302 lbs. Its now assembled and burned in.

I've decided to give it a try at work before I bring it home. the dilemma is that means some Q for 36 guys lol. soooo, 4 ribs each = 12 racks! so be it. I read in the forum about these stainless steel pot lid organizers from Ikea...

I have the ikea racks as well. Best buy ever. Congrats on the new smoker. Keep in mind the more mass in the smoker, the longer it may take to cook. This rule definitely applies when ribs are close together. Just my opinion. The pros may tell you different.

What temp are you cooking?

Its a new pellet grill so I was thinking low smoke for an hour then maybe 250... with a dry rub.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea lol

Planning to start at about 6am and lunch is 12:30. Bringing the thermapen.

For my smoker, 5 hrs at 250*F will land you at the right tenderness. Plan accordingly. If you want more fall of the bone try 6 hours. So your 1 hour at 180 + 5 hrs at 250 should be no problem.

However

With alot of ribs it may take longer especially in a rack and close together. Just food for thought. Personally I give an hour buffer. If they are done early they can always rest an hour in foil with no problems. Again, each smoker, cook, and meat acts different. Thats my 2 cents.

Happy smoking!:grilling_smilie:

That's definitely a large order for a brand new smoker.  Really hoping things go well for you guys and of course we're going to need pictures of the finished product!

popcorn.gif

Looking good.Thumbs Up

275 is usually 4 hrs.

This is kind of my rule of thumb for baby backs:
200 - 7hrs
225 - 6hrs
250 - 5hrs
275 - 4hrs

Progress at 4.5 hrs. The pellet pro is rock solid on the temps, I however have been bouncing the temps all over averaging 225.

Now at 275 to finish the ribs and cook the bacon... lunch is in an hour.

Pay no attention to the missing rib!

I can't believe that shipping weight,must be a quality unit! Lots of ribs there looking forward to the money shot!:drool

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky