First reverse flow smoker build - may have some questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fillin it up again. Gonna start cutting soon... Maybe next weekend.

CD185E27-49C8-4DA2-8382-D34D4F027C47.jpeg

So it's starts! Got the tops of the doors cut in. Let me tell you what... This damn thing is thick... Lot of time spent with the plasma cutter.

And started building the firebox. Not too bad of welds for a dude that just has a welder ;) but I ran out of time though and had to stop.

230D3543-1060-4027-9932-DB37FE862FFD.jpeg
D8F523D3-2A0D-4EBB-BCF9-2BFB79054343.jpeg
02C19E15-761B-428A-A8D9-2EE8C866FF1D.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
Alright I'm at an impasse... Could definitely use some advice from anyone..

My RF plate should be at 15" high. The CC is 40" at that point.
My FB is 40" wide x 30" tall x 30" deep.

I have a plate for the RF that is 38.5" wide. I guess I was off on my calculation originally...

Question 1:
Since this isnt rocket science and such, is it going to hurt having my plate say about 1/2" lower than the calculations? Which would make the FB/CC cutout smaller?

OR..

Fab up some pieces to get it to the right height?

Question 2:
since my FB is 30" tall, 15" of that will be going to the opening. I would love to have an ash pan. If I did like a 1"-2" ash pan and have a grate above that for the coal bed to sit on... Would say 12" space between the grate and firebox opening be enough for the fire/smoke to get in the CC?

@daveomak I'd love to hear from ya on this one!

To make your RF plate wider you could cut the plate in 1/2 length wise and weld a piece of angle iron on a V down the middle of your smoker then weld the plates in from the sides to the V. The V could be connected to a pipe and serve as your grease drain.

Ok I read through that entire thread. Love the spring Idea. and I'll be doing the same with the angle iron in the middle. It looks like I'll be ok to have the fire box grate about 12" lower than the opening to the FB/CC

I plan on painting this thing, suggestions to strip it? I really don't wanna spend all the cash to sandblast it

Well got a little bit done... Not too much sharpie I was using stopped working so I couldn't mark anything for the vents and start the door... But I did get the ash pan ready to go. Hopefully I can finish off this firebox off this coming week..

IMG_2054.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg

Just gotta figure out what to do for a trailer. After this week I'll be in need. Any suggestions? Best setups?

Well today was a pretty productive day!

Got this trailer for free - just needs new tires and will need a light kit.
IMG_2071.jpg

Got the air inlets cut in and the grate for the firebox in. I know I will need a support through the middle, that will go in once I get the firebox door in.
IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

And finally got the hinges for the cook chamber on and the doors cut in.
IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

I'll be out of town for work this coming week, so wont get anything done...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky