• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First reverse flow smoker build - may have some questions

AllTuckerdOut

Smoke Blower
Joined May 1, 2019
smokin peachey smokin peachey Some things that I know of..

- Makes heat distribution more even - think of that plate being in there turning the thing into more of a convection oven.
- supposedly the same goes for the smoke (idk how true that is)

traditional advantage over reverse - it will have more "hot spots" and you can cook different types of meat that way.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
smokin peachey smokin peachey Some things that I know of..

- Makes heat distribution more even - think of that plate being in there turning the thing into more of a convection oven.
- supposedly the same goes for the smoke (idk how true that is)

traditional advantage over reverse - it will have more "hot spots" and you can cook different types of meat that way.
I don’t understand the hotspot thing I have no problem with a hotspot in my traditional. Very even temps. The key is airflow. Keep the air moving through and that keeps even temps.

AllTuckerdOut

Smoke Blower
Joined May 1, 2019
I don’t understand the hotspot thing I have no problem with a hotspot in my traditional. Very even temps. The key is airflow. Keep the air moving through and that keeps even temps.
yeah I mean, on my (dont destroy me on this) oklahoma joe there's definitely a hotspot towards the firebox. But other than that, it isnt bad.

AllTuckerdOut

Smoke Blower
Joined May 1, 2019
From what I can see on some professional builds, since I am doing a flat end on the firebox, I think I may be mounting the firebox to the flat part...

Unfortunately that doesn't save me any money on the RF plate

AllTuckerdOut

Smoke Blower
Joined May 1, 2019
What's everyone using for an exhaust pipe? If I use 8" it looks like I'll need 47"... Not sure what kind of pipe I can use to get 8"

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
What's everyone using for an exhaust pipe? If I use 8" it looks like I'll need 47"... Not sure what kind of pipe I can use to get 8"
I used a 24” piece of 8” steel pipe and I slide a piece of 8” stove pipe with damper inside the steel pipe.

7E29BD2C-3FAE-4206-ABD0-0D7BE125BFB9.jpeg

E67C86A6-390E-47FE-9C15-97D19E194606.jpeg

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.