first pulled pork this weekend....maybe a silly question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Hello, I have a question about doing pulled pork.  I think I am going to finally try it this weekend.  

I keep reading that you need to rest the pork for a couple hours before shredding.

I haven't decided if I'm going to foil (braise) my pork or not.  I've seen videos of it done both ways and they all come out looking good it seems no matter what method you decide to use.  

I keep seeing people say you need to wrap it and put in a cooler with towels for the rest.  So is that with any pulled pork, regardless if it was wrapped (for the braise) or not?  I guess I'm just wondering if I end up placing my butt in a disposable foil pan for the braising part of the cook, do I then take the meat out when it hits 195-205 and then wrap that in foil, then place in a cooler?

Do you have to use a cooler at all?  Wonder if I have an oven free?  Could I just leave the pork in the disposable pan and stick in the oven set to 170 for a couple of hours, or would that not have the same result/effect as the cooler method?  

No need to put the butt in a cooler or oven if your ready to eat it.

A short 30 minute rest on the counter is all you need, except for a good pair of gloves to pull it with.

If it gets done early & you want to keep it hot, then you can wrap it in foil & put it in a cooler or I just use a 170 degree oven.

Then pull it when you are ready to eat.

Don't forget the finishing sauce.

I use SoFla Quers, there are some other good ones on here too.

Here is his recipe.

SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Good luck,

Al

I foil mine at the stall just to speed it along. I have done it both ways (foil/no foil) and honestly can't tell any difference. I shoot for an IT of 205, once it is there, you can pull it whenever you want. I usually do it right away, and it's so tender you can do it with a couple of forks.

I've done butt both ways and i cant tell any difference if moistness but the ones that are not foiled have a better bark.

I almost always end up wrapping and letting it sit in a cooler. That's because these butts can vary in how long they take to cook by a several hours. Therefore I plan on starting the cook with plenty of time left at the end. That way, if it is done earlier - it goes into the cooler; If it takes longer - well........ make sure you have some heavy duty gloves................

I have found that the butts that rest for an hour a) stay plenty hot and b) tend to  have a softer crust.

Just my .02.................

There's only one thing that I could possibly add to the great advice above. Wrapping in foil, then towels or blanket and putting it into a cooler for an hour or so will allow the juices to redistribute into the meat. This, along with some finishing sauce will give you some really tender, juicy and flavorable pulled pork.

Good luck with it, Joe. :grilling_smilie:

I look at resting Butts this way... Done is Done! If the IT is 205, the bone falls out and a probe slides in with no resistance, it's Done. It ain't going to get MORE Done resting in a cooler 1,2,4+ hours. I agree if you are hedging your bets so the meat is done well before the meal, go in a cooler. Resting to redistribute or reabsorb moisture makes all the difference in moistness. A Butt is good to go after 30 minutes on the counter, because the meat cools and pressure drops. Redistribution takes much longer in a cooler,because the meat stays hot and under pressure. Besides, juices that getaway, will be mixed in when you pull it and add back drippings and finishing sauce.
Now a longer rest on a med/rare Rib Roast is a whole nother story. You need full reabsorbtion as it's gets sliced not shredded and mixed...

There are not many, YOU GOTTA DO IT THIS WAY!!!!, in smoking and cooking. If l got a crowd of hungry folks staring me down? I pull the pork and add finishing sauce, right out of the smoker, BEFORE, l bring it in. I ain't risking an angry mob!!! If l am on my game, 30 minutes on the counter and l get my hands in it. When l'm planning ahead and need to work on other stuff, 1-5 hours in a cooler it is. All three batches of Pulled Pork are tasty and juicy...JJ

Last edited:
These recipes are popular around here...JJ

Foiling Juice / Sweet Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar (Recommended).Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and
run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return
the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining
in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, skip the Butter.

If you plan to Foil the meat, add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.
Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.
At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.
Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten, the meat should be shiny and juicy but not swimming in sauce. Serve while hot...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.
If you choose to Not Foil or Pan the Butt. Add the Finishing Sauce to the pulled meat before serving. Add the hot Finishing Sauce a little at a time until the Pork is moistened, again the meat should be shiny but not swimming in sauce.
When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.
Makes about one Cup.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. ENJOY...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Thanks everyone, I figured I was probably over thinking this cook, but I want to try and impress my family with my first go at it.  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky