First Prime Rib and it was awesome!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well the in-laws where over for Christmas today and I smoked up my first Prime Rib. They paid for the meat and I smoked it sounded like a fair deal to me. haha. We just got back into town this morning so I didn't have time to rub the roast until an hour before it went on the smoker. I used some Worcestershire, pepper, sea salt, garlic & onion powder. Next time I will rub it and let it sit at least over night. I smoke it in my UDS at around 250-275 with some hickory chunks and I took it to 136 then pulled it and let it rest. It was very juicy and just the right amount of pink. Being this was my first prime rib I was very happy and the mother in law said it was the best prime rib she had ever eaten.

d983fe5e_DSC00416.jpg

Just going on the smoker.

13f7f7cd_DSC00421.jpg

About to take a quick rest.

4114a124_DSC00431.jpg

Ready to slice.

35686f14_DSC00434.jpg

59843cbf_DSC00435.jpg

15d8edfd_DSC00438.jpg

Reactions: meateater
Looks awesome nice job
beercheer.gif

Looks Perfect RB !

Nice Qview too!

I thought you were going to rub it before you left?

Where the Heck's my slice ????

Bear

Looks Perfect RB !

Nice Qview too!

Bear
Yea I was going to rub it before I left but I got busy and it just never happened. Next time I will do that or at least put a bit more seasoning on the outside. We didn't want to put too much on being it was our first one. I figured I can always add a little extra salt on the meat on my plate if I need but I can't really take it off.

I didn't realize that prime rib can taste just as good heated up the next day. Now I am really pissed I didn't stock the freezer. I better go out today and see if anyone still has a sale going one. Why is it that it's always around Xmas time they have sales but never any other time?

WOW, now that does look perfect!   
points.gif

I'm going to have to see if I can't find a prime rib on sale today since I'm off work all week!  Excellent smoke and great Qview!

Looks Perfect RB !

Nice Qview too!

Bear
Yea I was going to rub it before I left but I got busy and it just never happened. Next time I will do that or at least put a bit more seasoning on the outside. We didn't want to put too much on being it was our first one. I figured I can always add a little extra salt on the meat on my plate if I need but I can't really take it off.

I solve that problem by not including any salt in my rub.

I add a little before I eat it, but Mrs Bear doesn't.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky