First Post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigkvn1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
California
Wife hooked me up with a Yoder Cheyene for X-mas!  Straight from Kansas to California via Fed Ex.  I've been lurking the forums here for a month or so soaking up all I can.  Yoder has been brought up to temp for 4 hours twice now.  Wiped out the inside with peanut oil after the first burn.  Shes now ready  for the real deal.  Alittle about me.  I have been cooking full course meals in the kitchen for about 10 yrs now.  Tons of gas grill experience aswell.  However, I'm new to the smoke world!  I've been a professiononal firefighter for about 12 yrs, and thats where I picked up the passion for cooking.  Kicking back in the kitchen for a few hours a day making feasts for the last 10yrs has made me a crowd favorite with family and friends:)  If all goes right I should push all in next week w/ my first real smoke....  I'll document everything and post it up for you guys!

Kevin 

Hi Kevin. Welcome to SMF!

I think alot of us were cook s , chefs and qers b4 we started smoking.

I love my time in the kitchen just as much as my time at the smoker.

Smoking just gives you more time to drink beer and socialize.

If ya got any special recipes from you kitchen that you want to share there is a place to post them . If you ever want any cajun recipes ,Just let me know.

Welcome any Idea what your first smoke will be?  Chicken quarters is a great start but if you are like me you are wanting a nice long first smoke.  I say go with Pulled pork that will give you enough time to learn the inns and outs of you smoker when you have a big chunk of meat in it.  You are gonna like it here.

Hello, I just became a member today have been surfing the forum all day just reading everybodies posts and learning as much as possible.  There is a wealth of knowledge here and its a lot to soak in.  I posted earlier and got a reply from smokinal on buying a new smoker and wanted some more input and saw you talking about the Yoder Cheyenne.  I'm not familiar with that smoker and don't know if its electric or charcoal, although i'm not against an electric I'm really looking for a charcoal.  I know there is a lot of electric owners here but i kinda like to do the work process of a charcoal instead of set it and forget it with the electrics offer.  I've been smoking for about a year but have stuggled with a smoker that I've found out will never work due to thin gauge steel that will not hold any kind of safe heat temps.  I'm looking at a Big Steel Keg right now but they are a little pricey....600 bucks...I'd like to be around 300 if possible.   Anyway love the forums and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  Pulled pork for sure:)  And, some ABTs to keep me stimulated along the way... The second time I brought her up to temperature I took notes every 20 min or so on my fire box, damper positions, and the corresponding internal temps for the 4 hours.  I was able to keep her pretty steady, but it did take a fair amount of attention.  I gonna jump right in on a nice long slow one!  I have a cord of dry almond at the house we use for campfires.  Should be fine huh??? 

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Kevin to SMF. It's nice to have another good cook in here. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome Kevin, Sounds like your ready to go. Looking forward to the results of your first smoke. Good luck!

Welcome to the SMF.  Glad to have you aboard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky