First pork jerky attempt - Question about results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

m0rie

Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
I made my first attempt at smoked pork jerky following Bear's recipe with a tweak to Cure#1 and Kosher salt from TQ. Everything went well but I was in a rush this morning to get it going and packed the jerky too close on it's hanging rods. Several pieces were touching and/or folded up so they ended up with no color and a different texture compared to the others. Was not sure they they would still be usable or should be tossed. I tried a piece of the fully cooked and it is really good. I don't mind keeping the other pieces if aside from texture they are fine but would rather toss them and learn a lesson for the next batch instead of getting sick.

Attachments

• 1020211629_HDR.jpg
    1020211629_HDR.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1020211630_HDR.jpg
    1020211630_HDR.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 1020211630a_HDR.jpg
    1020211630a_HDR.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Did you by any chance note the final IT? Still looks pretty wet. Doubt I'd toss it but maybe eat those pieces first depending on your response

Did you by any chance note the final IT? Still looks pretty wet. Doubt I'd toss it but maybe eat those pieces first depending on your response

I didn't check IT after pulling them :/ I should have but did not think about it. I put them in the smoker this morning at 8 and pulled them at 4pm. Chamber temp between 140-150 the entire time. That had a good probe monitoring it. Should I maybe put them on a rack and toss them in the oven for an hour or so?

Let's see some pics of what you consider to be good. Those white spots are likely just because they touched and didn't get direct smoke

Attachments

• 1634775114597527456114897857060.jpg
    1634775114597527456114897857060.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 16347752340856986924480274787841.jpg
    16347752340856986924480274787841.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks good and you used cure #1. I wouldn't worry about those white spots. It is wet so store accordingly.

8hrs is a pretty short time for drying jerky. I've never done pork so can't speak too much to that. Could be drier though. We have plenty of pros here that can give further guidance but I think you are safe as long as stored properly and consumed sooner than later

8hrs is a pretty short time for drying jerky. I've never done pork so can't speak too much to that. Could be drier though. We have plenty of pros here that can give further guidance but I think you are safe as long as stored properly and consumed sooner than later

Thank you for looking it over, definitely have a few process changes to make for next time. Always something to learn and it's always a good day when you can eat your learning experiences!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thank you for looking it over, definitely have a few process changes to make for next time. Always something to learn and it's always a good day when you can eat your learning experiences!
No problem. It's tasty looking for sure

Reactions: m0rie
They should be safe as is but I too would put some more smoke on the white pieces...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp and m0rie
I would agree with the others, I wouldn’t throw any of it out. Since you used cure#1 it’s safe too eat. But as JJ said I would put the white pieces back in the smoker to get some smoke on them.
Al

No problem, n0rie !!
It just didn't get smoke coloration where it was blocked by other pieces. It probably didn't happen to enough of it to worry about. If it did, I would advise you cold smoke some of it again, so you don't cook it any more. Cured & in 140° to 150° for 8 hours, I'm sure is safe & plenty done.
Eat Up!!

Bear

Reactions: KBFlyer
What smoker are you using?
I have a Smokin-It electric smoker and have to use a low volume exhaust fan to get enough air movement to dry my jerky. My batches dry in about 5-7 hours.

What smoker are you using?
I have a Smokin-It electric smoker and have to use a low volume exhaust fan to get enough air movement to dry my jerky. My batches dry in about 5-7 hours.

Doesn't "Smokin-it" only have that one little hole in the top for venting? Might want to get the drill out.
Just wondering.

Bear

Bear,
Smokin-It has a 1 in vent in the top and a 3/4 in entrance/drain hole in bottom.
The sides, top and door of the smoker are double walled stainless steel with 1 in fiberglass insulation in between. Making a fitting to fit the hole would be more work than I want to do.
Some users have opened up the drain hole, but I like the low air exchange when hot smoking that keeps the meat from drying out. I only use 4-6 oz of chunk wood for pork butts, so it is a real efficient smoker for wood consumption.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky