My run at pork jerky.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Well, after drooling all over my keyboard after seeing disco disco Thai pork jerky. I just knew I needed to try something like that.
So, I got the jerky board out. And sliced up 2 pounds on loin at 1/8" pieces.
I figured that after I added the cure. All bets are off on the spices. After some thinking and research. I came up with this:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbs sriracha sauce
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder. Next batch I'll use 1 tsp.
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs worsy sauce
2 tsp roasted sesame oil.
1/2 tsp cure #1.

Mix all this up well and then mix the pork into it.
After reading Discos comments about the brine not getting deep into the meat. I decided to vacuum marinade this.
Simple to do. I put it in a gallon mason jar. And vacuumed sealed it. And gave it a good shaking around.
After about 12 hours. I emptied the jar into a colander to let it drain while I got the oven preheated to 350 degrees (smoker still down waiting for parts)
Truth be told. I usually just use the oven anyway for jerky.
After the oven is ready, I put the meat in. And let it get to 145 IT. After it got to 145.
I removed it from the oven. And reduced the oven temp to 190. And returned the meat to the oven with the door cracked open to let the moisture out.
After 4 hours I deemed it jerky!

PA121236.JPG

2 jerky trays with the pork ready for the oven.

PA121238.JPG

Test piece after 3 hours. Still needs a touch more dry time. But, man. This tastes awesome! Considering the cost between pork and beef. I'll be making more pork jerky until beef prices
get more realistic. Though some prices have come down. I bought some London broil yesterday for 2.99 a pound. Until then I couldn't find it for less then 6.00 pound.

Last edited:
That looks to be some yummy snackage Steve, Like. I'm guessing the pork jerky might be a little easier on the chew than beef. RAY

Looks good Steve. I've never made jerky, but your method seems easy.

Looks good Steve! I made some awhile back, been wanting to do more...i really liked it. I think I followed Bearcarver Bearcarver recipe.

Ryan

Looks awesome Steve!
I’m not a jerky guy, but I do like pork jerky better than beef!
Al

Thank you Al. I've only had it once before, store bought. Wasn't very thrilled by the taste. This is much better.

Well Steve, you got the cogs turning buddy. I tried pork jerky once and it was a disaster. Used a store bought seasoning mix and the stuff was just horrid. I've made tons of beef jerky that's always a big hit but even the trash man didn't want to take the pork. I'm gonna give this a run but will use the dehydrator out on the patio instead of the oven. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Robert

Well Steve, you got the cogs turning buddy. I tried pork jerky once and it was a disaster. Used a store bought seasoning mix and the stuff was just horrid. I've made tons of beef jerky that's always a big hit but even the trash man didn't want to take the pork. I'm gonna give this a run but will use the dehydrator out on the patio instead of the oven. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Robert
Thanks Robert! This has a slight kick with heat. I'm doing another batch tomorrow with twice the srirachi. I'll post my thoughts on it.

Hey Steve...I just went back and read the ingredients in the marinade. I bet that would make an amazing glaze for pork ribs. I may have to take this to a different level. About time I did some ribs and this may well get used.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
Hey Steve...I just went back and read the ingredients in the marinade. I bet that would make an amazing glaze for pork ribs. I may have to take this to a different level. About time I did some ribs and this may well get used.

Robert
I was thinking about using this as a marinade for chops.

Steve that looks really tasty!! The flavor profile would definitely be something I like! I’m sure I’d eat that one piece after the other until gone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky