First pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

short smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
York, Pa
First time doing a butt. Cooked to 190, I was starving 9 & 1/2 hours later. Foiled it at 150 until Internal temp was 190. I injected it with a Worcester vinegar concoction I found on the spruce website. And rubbed it with a carolina style rub. Thoughts? Things to do for future. It was nice and juicy.

Looks great. What temp did you cook at?
I tried to keep it between 225 and 250 few times it dropped to 215 and was as high as 290. I was struggling to maintain a steady temperature, outside the weather was less that pleasant. 42° and light rain plus windy

Great job on your first pork butt.  You turned out some fine pulled pork.

My only suggestion would be to cook it to and internal temp of 205*--then the bone just slides out and it is a breeze to pull.

Gary
thank you. I was hoping to get to 200 or 205 but I was running out of time. Definitely a long cook, and I didn't plan on it taking more than 8 hours for a 8 pounds. I will definitely plan better next time and cook to 205.

Looks good and I agree, taking to a higher IT temp of about 200 will give you a little more consistency.  

Every piece of meat is somewhat different, I smoke at 225 and my PB's are about an hour and a half per pound average, plus or minus an hour or so most of the time.  200 IT and two hours resting seems to be the magic number for my consistency.

I do not inject, but I do stir in a vinegar based finishing sauce after pulling.  We like extra smoke, so after pulling I put the pans back into the cold smoker about 10 minutes as it is warming back up to add a little more smoke on top then re-stir.

To me, it is better to smoke early and let it rest longer if needed or reheat than have a table full of starving people while you are waiting for it to get done.  If I am smoking for a crowd, I usually smoke the day before and reheat in the oven or a crock pot..  It is just as good, or even a little better.

You just have to practice and find what works for you.  Good luck.

Thanks for the great tips 801driver. The extra smoke idea sounds really good. I tried to make a finish sauce for the table with butter, Worcester sauce, cider vinegar, honey and salt and pepper. Turned out ok. Is there any suggestions you have for a table sauce or sauces? Just in case my future guest want something different or options

801driver is right ... pulled pork the next day is the best! I think is because all the good bark flavor mixes in with the meat! .. just mix in a simple vinegar sauce after u have pulled it ... then I'd put out a honey BBQ a spicy BBQ and a mustard BBQ ! And don't forget some hot sauce lol I have more sauces in my fridge than most lol my door is full ! Anything from Asian to bourbon BBQ glaze lol ohh don't forget the slaw! Slaw is almost a sauce lol

Short Smoke,

Use the search in the upper right corner for finishing sauce, you will find some good ones to get started with listed.  We have fine tuned and use a combination of a few listed.

Experiment until you find one that fits your taste buds that day, then some other days you might want to vary.

Keep posting with your results.  Hopefully you will have green under that nasty white stuff in the background.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky