First Official CenTex Que & Brew August 9th-11th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"Barely 2 weeks left!"

Can't wait!!

IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME IN LAGO!!

The big brown truck arrived yesterday led by that weird little Reindeer with the funky nose and he was bearing tidings of joy. I got several huge boxes of Piedmontese beef and a bunch of beer making ingredients. Looks like I might have to quit my job so I have time to make all the beer....and hopefully learn how to cook a steak in the next two weeks.

Formulating my letter of resignation,
Robert
So ready to try the beer

Well guys, here's a beer update. I tapped a keg of Czech Amber Lager this morning, which I'll dive into this afternoon. The other tap has a nice blonde ale for Tracy. Since the big brown truck brought all those goodies yesterday, I felt compelled to put them to good use. I made a batch of English Brown Ale and a different blonde for Tracy this morning. The Brown will most likely be set aside for our gathering. If primary fermentation is done by this weekend I'll see about transferring those to secondary and making yet another different blonde and the Irish Red Ale, which is definitely for the party. At that point everything that was delivered yesterday will be on the floor getting happy so more than likely I'll immediately order some more. It'd be nice if I can get a keg of Imperial ESB done and have that ready if people want to try some different stuff. The party tap is not set up to run 2 kegs but with the one on the patio and two in the keg-o-rator, we will have three different beers on tap.

Beer is proof that God wants me to be happy,
Robert

Reactions: woodwindricky
Couple more updates:

-Ricky woodwindricky woodwindricky has decided to give the Santa Maria grill a run. He will be doing his turkey on Saturday with the rotisserie. That grill is now spoken for.

-Still no word on what to do for Friday dinner. Unless we hear anything different, I'm planning to do two Piedmontese Tri tip roasts, also on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria and we can figure out accompaniments at some point.

-I think I may do one of my breakfast quiches on Saturday morning. They are REALLY good and something most folks have not seen. Matter of fact, I did one for Tracy and I not too long ago and it was featured on the carousel. They are that good :-)

-Still planning to do a couple of sirloin roasts for Saturday. There's still plenty of room in the smoker if somebody wants to throw something else in there. At some point when the roasts are getting close, I'll need at least part of the big grill to sear them so we may have to share grill space.

-The beer I made yesterday has kicked off and is churning along nicely. Hopefully it'll be done with primary fermentation by Sunday and I can make the other 10 gallons from my last order....then order some more. Running out of food would be bad but running out of beer would be unspeakable.

Gotta run. Y'all have a great day!!
Robert

Couple more updates:

-Ricky woodwindricky woodwindricky has decided to give the Santa Maria grill a run. He will be doing his turkey on Saturday with the rotisserie. That grill is now spoken for.

-Still no word on what to do for Friday dinner. Unless we hear anything different, I'm planning to do two Piedmontese Tri tip roasts, also on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria and we can figure out accompaniments at some point.

-I think I may do one of my breakfast quiches on Saturday morning. They are REALLY good and something most folks have not seen. Matter of fact, I did one for Tracy and I not too long ago and it was featured on the carousel. They are that good :-)

-Still planning to do a couple of sirloin roasts for Saturday. There's still plenty of room in the smoker if somebody wants to throw something else in there. At some point when the roasts are getting close, I'll need at least part of the big grill to sear them so we may have to share grill space.

-The beer I made yesterday has kicked off and is churning along nicely. Hopefully it'll be done with primary fermentation by Sunday and I can make the other 10 gallons from my last order....then order some more. Running out of food would be bad but running out of beer would be unspeakable.

Gotta run. Y'all have a great day!!
Robert
This really sounds great. I can always throw some snacking stuff on my grills if needed.

Reactions: woodwindricky
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG

these pics are a tease. if you take Robert up on his sausage making class you too can make yummy stuff! :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

Damn Ricky....you got it going on brother!!

Now to the reality of the timing of Ricky's post. That sausage as well as one that I can't pronounce (I just call it "the F-word sausage") will be brought for our shindig but it was also featured last weekend as an appetizer for our 65 day aged prime rib dinner. I will tell you in no uncertain terms that both of them were absolutely incredible!! Even Tracy went overboard with the stuff. Ricky was gracious enough to leave some for us and I made a fantastic Italian salad for dinner Sunday night that had Tracy and I both just drooling. Y'all are gonna love this stuff.

Robert

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
"10 days left?!? Y'all ready!"
YEE HAW!! Can't wait!! Really looking forward to this one.

"G'Morning Y'all! man life gets in the way of fun sometimes. I'm back it though!"

Welcome back Zach. Nice to see you again sir. I have been pretty busy as of late also so not much help keeping things going here.

"Great looking sticks woodwindricky woodwindricky ! Looking forward to trying them!"

I'm telling y'all, that sausage was amazing. Looking forward to diving into a bit more of that stuff.

Another beer update: Ingredients received last week for 20 gallons of beer are all made and on the floor getting happy. I ordered ingredients yesterday for another 20 gallons which were just dropped off by the big brown truck. Can't promise that I'll get all of this done by party time but I should be able to get at least 10 more gallons ready. One thing though....I'll be generous and share but I'm going to keep a couple kegs in reserve for Tracy and I. Sorry folks, don't want us to run out of beer :emoji_wink:

Brewing it up in Lago,
Robert

Reactions: bigdaddy4760
Well ladies and gentlemen it appears that another great friend of ours and his wife will be joining us for the event. Please give a warm welcome to Doug T Thorpd01 He and his wife are are two of the finest people you'll ever know and have been friends of ours for a LONG time. I believe Doug is planning to bring some goodies unlike anything else that's been offered up thus far. This should be fun!!

Zach, could you please add them to the list of attendees?

Welcoming a friend,
Robert

If you are able to go ,you will not be disappointed, Robert and his lovely wife are great host and it should be a good time for all.

"Thanks Robert, we are looking forward to learning and most importantly to eating!"

DOUG!! Can't tell you how thrilled I am to see you among us. Welcome to the greatest group of folks on the planet.

Please do tell though....what is your intended attendance schedule for the event and if you could fill us in on what you're planning to bring for the coffers, that would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda curious,
Robert

"Sounds great, we will do our best to make it on Saturday at least. I have got to check the date. Thanks from New Braunfels, TX."

Well howdy there my New Braunfels brethren!! Great to make your acquaintance. We certainly hope you can make it. Be great to see you and yours (you mentioned plural people) but I'd make a couple of recommendations. Bring swim suits, bring towels, bring sleeping bags, and bring an overnight bag. This is likely to be a party that you won't want to leave facing a two hour drive back home. Be prepared to stay the night. It may not be the Waldorf Astoria but we can make you comfortable....and most importantly, keep you safe.

Rolling out the welcome mat once again,
Robert

So Jenga is about finished, and i need to get started on Cornhole. I've had some things come up recently that have been pretty frustrating which has distracted me from projects. I recently bought a bluetooth receiver for the stereo I'll bring. By far the best bluetooth range I've seen. I can have it playing in the garage and walk all the way to the other side of the house and it still doesn't cut out.

My friend Austin may not be able to make it anymore. He's waiting to hear from insurance, but he wrecked his truck last week. He is 100% okay, but his truck is looking like it may be totaled (best case at this point) due to needing literally every body panel replaced. I'll update for sure once he hears from the insurance adjuster (should be today).

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky