First MES30 Hot Smoke Salmon [QView]

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjp123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Ontario, CANADA
Haha - I'm really giving this smoker a workout!  I've now done something every weekend since I put it together!  Smoking is so easy and produces such a great result!  Thanks to this site for making it easy on a newbie!

As it is Good Friday (no meat, only fish) I decided to hot smoke some salmon.

I bougt the salmon from Costco, the entire fillet (no skin and no bone) was around $19 CA$.  Forgot to check the weight, but I think it was around 3 lbs.

I decided to brine it in a mixture of brown sugar, salt and black pepper (1.5 cups of sugar, 1 cup of salt, I poured out the entire pepper shaker as it was only about 1/4 full) plus enough water to cover it all.

It brined for 24 hours and then I took it out and put it on a rack to dry in the fridge for another 24 hours - total brine and dry/cure time 48 hours.

I just loaded it in the smoker and will smoke at 225 deg for about 2 hours using cherry wood.

172f04f8_salmoninsmoker.jpg

Stay tuned for the results.  The MES30 analog is a really awesome piece of gear and the AMNS makes it super simple to keep a good smoke going.

Sounds like a winner. I love smoked salmon and cherry is a good wood for it.  Looking forward to finished results.

It is pretty windy out, controlling hte temp at 225 is getting to be a little tough, lots of fiddeling with the temperature guage on the plug.  It took forever to get over 200, I will probably let it smoke for an extra 30 minutes.

looks good...keep an eye on that salmon though. I did one from Costco a while back and at 225 it only took a little over an hour. That one piece looks a little fat though....the tail piece might go quick

376290d4_finishedsmokedsalmon.jpg

Another successful smoke!  The meat is moist, flaky and has a light smokey flavor.

It was on a total of 2.5 hours because the first hour or so I couldn't get the smoker above 200 deg - it was too windy.

Yum, yum!

Feedback from others is that the salmon is great.

It's a little salty for my tastes so I will probably cut down the salt on my next brine.

So far so good!  Batting 1.000!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky