1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First go at cooking a Brisket but point only.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by benny australia, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

So I have a friend who is a butcher and has given me a brisket point, I think it is about 4lbs. I have never smoked a brisket yet as I have only just finished the smoker I have built. I plan on just slicing it to start with and see how it goes. Can anyone give me some tips? Not really sure what type of rub to use and what internal temp to let it get to?

Thanks!

Ben

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It can be smoked anywhere from 225-250°F. It will take about 2 hours per pound with a rest. Take it to an internal temp of 195°F and start poking it with a toothpick. You are looking for it to slide in easily. You can go as simple as Salt and Pepper but I like the rub below for beef...JJ

Bubba Beef Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Kosher Salt

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Mustard Seed

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1tsp Juniper Berries 

Add Cayenne if heat is desired.

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup.

3. Deleted by KC5TPY

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. bigr314

bigr314 Meat Mopper

My last brisket I just used a salt and pepper rub. Smoked @ 225 till an IT  of 195. Wrapped it well and let it sit for a few hours. Turned out great.

5. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Use a basic rub that you like. Smoke to IT of about 195. Rest for 30 - 45 minutes, the4n slice across the grain.

MIKE