First go at cooking a Brisket but point only.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benny australia

Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hi everyone,

So I have a friend who is a butcher and has given me a brisket point, I think it is about 4lbs. I have never smoked a brisket yet as I have only just finished the smoker I have built. I plan on just slicing it to start with and see how it goes. Can anyone give me some tips? Not really sure what type of rub to use and what internal temp to let it get to?

Thanks!

Ben

It can be smoked anywhere from 225-250°F. It will take about 2 hours per pound with a rest. Take it to an internal temp of 195°F and start poking it with a toothpick. You are looking for it to slide in easily. You can go as simple as Salt and Pepper but I like the rub below for beef...JJ

Bubba Beef Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Kosher Salt

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Mustard Seed

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1tsp Juniper Berries 

Add Cayenne if heat is desired.

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup.

My last brisket I just used a salt and pepper rub. Smoked @ 225 till an IT  of 195. Wrapped it well and let it sit for a few hours. Turned out great.

Use a basic rub that you like. Smoke to IT of about 195. Rest for 30 - 45 minutes, the4n slice across the grain.

MIKE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky