First Cook - Offset Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
01EBCCB6-AF1A-4B42-B67F-597184F2E0FA.jpeg

I had this cooker built a few months ago. The first time it was sand blasted and painted the fellow applied way too much paint (thick). After several weeks the paint would not cure so I had to take it back and have it redone.
Today I was finally able to get her seasoned up.
I figured I might as well have my first cook on her today also.
Last night I made a fatty using Jimmy Dean’s hot sausage and stuffed it with roasted poblano peppers and pepperoni. Seasoned it with On Point Sweet Heat Rub.
Finished product
CDA146C2-95B9-45EA-854A-30C8FA9E0D51.jpeg

Also rubbed down a slab of baby back ribs in brown sugar and let them sit in the fridge overnight. This morning I seasoned them up with On Point AP Rub and On Point Sweet Heat Rub.
Finished product glazed with Craig’s Sauce.
0FC09DA2-A987-486C-AE6C-2A00182AAF1F.jpeg

Next up - Pork belly. I made a deep score pattern on the fat side and seasoned it with Smoking Guns Hot Rub. It also sat overnight in the fridge.
Finished product glazed with my apricot glaze.
Glaze consist of:
Craig’s Sauce
Apricot Jam
Tiger Sauce
Apple juice
BEF67E0D-2552-4AF0-B871-C9484EAFBB98.jpeg

Everything turned pretty dang good (especially the fatty). The weather was great, high 40’s sunny and very light wind. All in all a perfect day for getting to know my new cooker. I must say it preformed really well. I was able to maintain temps pretty well and had a clean burning fire all day. It ran between 275* and 330* most of the day.
Thanks for dropping by and be blessed!
Johnny Ray

Getting Old - just remembered I cooked a couple of chickens on this cooker a while back. I had so many issues with the paint burning off the firebox and such during that cook I wrote it off I guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Johnny

Last edited:
The food looks great but the Pride in using Your Smoker Design must be a real High!...JJ

Reactions: Johnny Ray
Great looking food! Glad you're finally able to get some enjoyment from your smoker!

Ryan

Everything looks great Johnny! Congrats on the new smoker up and running. Nice work. Stay safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky