First chunks of meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adamj812

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Well after looking my "jerky smoker" in my garage and not really using it, I decided to try doing some real chunks of meat. While trying to find some cheap cuts of meat to experiment I found these at the local Sam's Club. I picked up a 7-8lbs pork Boston Butt.

butt.jpg

And an approx 6-7lbs beef sirloin tip.

sirloin.jpg

I gave them my favorite rub of spices and going to let them sit overnight. I'm using a Masterbuilt electric smoker that I picked up at Cabela's on sale last fall and plan on using a mixture of wood with a lot of hickory (which I like a strong taste of).

Anyone have any suggestions/tips for me when smoking these 2?

-Adam

Hi Adam, for the butt i would have smoker temp around 225... cook until meat is 140-145 then start spritzin' a LIGHT spray( i use apple juice and worchestershire) when it reaches 165 wrap it in foil... take her up to around 195.... leave the foil on.... wrap her in a bath towel and put her in a cooler for an hour.... take her out and pull her apart.... sprinkle SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce on her... and eat like theres no tomorrow!!

The other... same smoker temp... cook til internal temp is where you like it... if you want a pull it do close to the same....without the finishing sauce...then add my fav. BBQ to my samich... if ya want to slice it i would pull it off around 150-160.... thats just my likin' more done higher temp... less done lower temp...

Adam,
Welcome once again.
You have been given good advice on both.
As Mark told you alot is preference as well.
I prefer not to Foil the butt until temps get a little higher or to remove foil for the last 5-10 degrees of cooking. I like a good soild outer bark and this helps with that.
It all preference.
Maybe follow the sticky that Lance posted on this one and then expeirment next time with what you like.
Goodluck.

How long would you all say it would take to get these done? The Beef is at 140 right now and only been 2 1/2 hours. The pork is on the lower rack and it too is at 140. At this rate I should be done in less than 4 hours with cooking temp of 220??? I see everywhere else saying it should take 8-10 hours? Or is it just the last bit takes much longer after quickly getting up to around 140?

-Adam

make sure your thermometers are reading correctly... make sure your not close to a bone on the butt.... on average it has been taking my butts between 8 and 11 hours!

Adam,
The pork butt's have a tendency to plateau or hit a stalling point. The temps stop rising and will hang in one spot for some length in time.
If it fails to do this, yes it will be done quicker. If it does just grab a brew, kick back and wait. Be patient, great things come to those who are
icon_smile.gif
The beef will be done alot sooner than the pork. Just keep eyes on the thermo's and all will be good.

Like ds 7662 says, the beef will be done a lot sooner then the pork..
What temp do you plan on taking the beef out of the smoker?
I like mine in the 145-150 area.

I'm at 145-150 now for the beef, the plan is to slice it for sandwiches for lunch. I don't want it really rare in the middle yet I don't want it really well done. Something like medium-well. What do you all think would be best to pull it out at?

-Adam

Which one are you at 145 or 150? That makes a difference.
I would say pull between 150 and 155 if you want it medium. A little higher temp if you like your meat more done.

I'm at just under 150 now, I'll let it in there for a while longer. I just need to keep the door closed and be patient, the 25 degree temps outside don't do any good for retaining heat in the smoker.

I personally prefer my meat rare, but the others that I'm making it for don't, so I have to go with the majority.

Anything special I should do before slicing? I assume I should let it rest for an hour or so before cutting into it?

Thanks all for the tips and answering my many questions.

Pull the meat and wrap in foil. Maybe double wrap. Then wrap in an old towel and place in a cooler and let it sit at leat 30 min's. This helps the juices in the meat re-distribute.
Slice and enjoy after that.
You can follow the same foiling technique for the butt as well.

Well here it is just out of the smoker ready to be wrapped and placed in cooler.

sirloin2.jpg

sirloin3.jpg

Man, looks and smells so good, I just wanted to cut into it right there.

Damn nice looking roast. Looks mouth watering. I can understand you wanting to slice it right away. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. Job well done.
Keep us posted on the butt.

Kookie

I guess it turned out ok, there's nothing left now. Made sandwiches for lunch out of it. The butt is wrapped in tinfoil now, waiting for it to get up to 190 or so for pullin.

Here's the beef roast all sliced up and ready to go.

sirloin4.jpg

Looks great Adam, and if nothing is left then others must have thought so to. Glad I was able to help you out.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Points!!

Just a final update on the butt. I took it out of the smoker at just above 190 wrapped it in a towel and dropped it in the cooler. I kind of forgot about it for 2 hours, but I pulled it out and it was still just as hot. I removed some of the big chunks of fat and pulled it with a fork. Shook on some of the finishing sauce and covered it up.

Well, as for how it turned out. I realized that I needed some buns for sandwiches so I ran to the store after announcing whoever wanted to try some was welcome to. When I got back about 1/2 hour later the meat was over half gone. So I would deem the pork also to be a success.

I was a apprehensive about putting on the finishing sauce because of the vinegar, but man, did that make a difference.

Now the problem is that some of the neighbors want me to do some meat for their parties.

Thanks again all for the help!

-Adam

Well there you have it, a true success story.
Nothing speaks better about your cooking than having guest ask you to make some more.. Great job!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky