• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salisboss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
I am doing my first Chuckie today. It got to 150 and stalled so I brought it in and wrapped it in butcher paper. When I put the probe back I can't find that spot again and it has basically fluctuated between 135 and 140 for the last two hours regardless of where I put the probe. Could the paper be affecting my probe?

After messing with the probes, I think the probe in the meat is a little flakey.

Once it hits the stall, it is going to cool rapidly when removed from the hot smoker. The stall is muscle sweating water to cool, no different than you do when overheated, and it doesn't matter that the muscle is no longer part of a living animal. Kind of gives the term "muscle memory" a new spin, eh?

Unwrap it, look where a fatless area of the meat is, wrap it, then stick your probe in that spot from your eyeball memory. Put it in the smoker and wait...and wait...and wait. Or crank up the heat and just wait.

Reactions: smokerjim
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky