First Cheese

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by ironhorse07, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Finally did this about a week ago.

Have been wanting to smoke some cheese for quite awhile. Did not have a smokehouse. Thanks to all the people on this forum and after reading about a gazzilion threads it made it a stress free process.

modified what I already had...

[​IMG]

The local IGA had cheese on sale, we have: swiss, mozzarella, pepper jack, muenster, sharp cheddar, medium cheddar, cheddar jack and string cheese. On with apple pellets.

[​IMG]

Smoked for 4 hours. Traeger ran about 178 deg on smoke, ambient was 37 - 39 degrees, and smoke chamber stayed about 46 - 49 deg. the whole time. thought about messing with the heat but I was getting good smoke so I just let it go. When I took them off they did not have a real good color, but thanks to what I have read, with the cold smoke temp I was not expecting any. Initial samples went fast! Good smoke flavor, not bitter, but sharp which I expect to mellow in the fridge (thanks again, no suprises). All in all a success. Next I will play more with the heat to work on the color. Update after they have aged for a couple of weeks.

Vacuum packed and ready for a rest.

[​IMG]

More and better pics on next smoke.

2. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great idea to pipe that over to your Weber!  Congrats!

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome- great looking cheese 

4. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the addiction!

Looks like some great cheese!

Good luck and good smoking.

5. Great looking cheese and I love the ingenuity of your mod!

6. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Gotta love smoked cheese! It will tatste amazing after a 2 week rest in the fridge.

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Very innovative setup! Great looking cheese too!

8. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I like your set up it looks awesome and you'll like the cheeses too.

9. cheese update! Finally broke them open, incredible! thank you all again for sharing your wisdom. While I was waiting for the cheese to bloom I got an AMNPS gonna be easier in the future.