First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbones

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Oakdale, Minnesota
So I smoked my first brisket today. Got a 5.75 # at the butcher. I was shocked to find out they only have frozen briskets.  against my better judgment i bought it. After i got it home and thawed it out, i was not impressed with the cut of meat. Mostly got the point with not alot of fat. I covered it in the house rub from the butcher. Very good rub.  I put it in my MES at 6:30 this morning at 225 degrees and tended to it all day adding hickory wood chips.  After about 4 and half hours it had a great looking bark on it so I foiled it with some apple juice and put in back in for another 4 hours or so. IT was at about 170 and i then pulled it out of the foil and back on the rack for another 1 hour. IT was up to 190 and I pulled it off and wrapped it in foil and covered in towels on the counter for about an hour. made some mashed tators and then uncovered the beast and sliced into it and it was really fatty and juicy. It didn't look very done to me. i compare it to a about a medium prime rib. (which i hate prime rib) Flavor was good. The wife and parents thought it was VERY good. At least someone did.  I think next time ill have to go to a store were i can see several briskets thawed and choose a good one. Perhaps get just the flat. I also had a small pork loin going in there too. I left it completely unseasoned because i wanted to taste the smoke. And I thought that was amazing!!!! Great smoke ring on the pork. I haven't done the brisket before and this was why i was kinda scared to do it. Its very intimidating to me because i hear everyone say its the hardest meat to smoke and have it turn out tender and flavorful.

Don't get discouraged on the brisket...

Took me 7 hours to smoke a 2.5 pound brisket today...sometimes they just don't act right and sometimes the smoker (especially electrics) are whacky!

Hang in there,

Bill

I read its not possible. What's your secret?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky