First Brisket Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slabtastic

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Baltimore Maryland
Its been a while but between getting ready for my annual training in the guard, my time there and then drill the weekend after I haven't had much time for smoking. So i wanted to come back with a bang.

This i my first brisket, Just over 11lbs. It was the smallest the the Amish market I purchase my meats from had.

I lathered with the mustard and the rub i usually use on my ribs.

I started around 1030pm with hopes of having it done by dinner the following day. The only problems I had where running out of fuel and having to purchase some crappy lump charcoal from Lowes. In consistent burning along with drifting a sleep ( i was up for 35 hours straight due to civ and military responsibilities haha). The temp dropped below 200 a few times and prolonged the smoke so I finished the last hour in the oven.

Other items of Note, I smoked it Fat down, It was only in foil on the smoker once it hit 170, I use the foil when rubbing so its less to clean up.

And any guidance on carving would be great, Ive read against the grain is the best but I think i need a better visual.

On with the Pics

db072651_IMG_1584.jpg

9594d590_IMG_1589.jpg

e0564f0c_IMG_1591.jpg

ce272bb2_IMG_1590.jpg

Your brisket looks delish.  On a stay-cation next week, planning on a few smokes while I'm off.  For tender brisket slices, slice across the grain of the meat (grain typically runs across the flat to one corner, diagonal to the edge).  I also seperate the point from the flat prior to slicing, then make burnt ends out of the point.  You can also slice it from the end of the flat and work towards the point, perpindicular to the grain.  This will give a well cooked brisket a bit of tug when doing the pull test, but still be tender.  You also would slice it this way if you have overcooked a brisket and it's just falling apart but still want to serve as sliced and not pulled or chopped.  Do not slice with the grain, unless you really enjoy chewing or pulling your dentures out!  After cooking, sometimes it is hard to be able to determine the grain, so prior to throwing it on the pit, I'll trim an inch off the corner of the brisket that the grain runs to, this way I have a starting point for slicing.  I wish I had a pic, but I don't. 

Your brisket looks pretty moist, how did it come out?  Gotta love the Big Red, turned my son onto this a while back, now we make special road trips for the stuff.

Hey, Thanks all.

Bruno, great tips and I will use them for sure the next time. I like the idea of trimming one end off before it hits the pit. I'll look for a you-tube tutorial or maybe you could make a sticky with pics?

Sescoyote, I love big red. I was stationed in Texas for training for almost 2 years and I haven't seen it anywhere until i ran into a local BBq place here in MD.

It came out very tender and there were juices a plenty.

Who has done a fat down vs a fat up smoke and what are your preferences?

I usually don't trim mine because I smoke them at 220 degrees, fat cap up.   I will trim them to 1/4-1/3 inch if there is too much fat on them, but it's just a slight trim.

I'm sorry I should have prefaced the trimming question with after the brisket was smoked. I found an excellent video on trimming that I will use next time.  I did have just a thin layer of fat left on the brisket about the same dimensions you had discussed.

Jimmy, Its hard for me to have brisket with out big red haha, and thank you for your support.

yeah you kinds want to trim everything before you smoke it, that way if the rub is put on you won't waste any.  I've seen guys rub a brisket all nice but then trim it up and discard some of the bark, i don't see the point in that.

Looks great.

Across the grain when you cut. You can cut the starting point as suggested or while you are applying the rub look for the grain and make a mental note of it. The more you work with the brisket you will be able to find it very quickly.

I'm goint take a few suggestions to help with the grain and cut the tip off of one end and possibly use toothpicks to mark the grain..

But youre right I need to do a few more briskets, I'm still eating the meat from this one haha

Awsome looking brisket there !!!!

Had to chuckle seeing the Big Red, and also noticing you are in Baltimore.

I grew up in Baltimore and now live in Texas, and we got plenty of Big Red here.

Grandson loves Big Red Floats.

Thank you :)
I have friend that lives in round rock tx that I try to visit once a year and drink as much big red as i can. I went as far as to go to Big Red's website and there isn't anyone that sells it within 400 miles.
A BBQ resturant near by is the only place that does and they import it.

Mighty nice looking brisket...I'm cooking up my first one tomorrow.  We don't have Big Red up her in Michigan but I'm guessing it's very similar to Faygo Red Pop.  Can't beat it on a hot summer day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky