First Brisket(Q View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 5, 2018
Elgin SC
Got started on this 14lb brisket around 430 this morning. Trimmed and seasoned with SPOG cooked for 9hrs with pecan wood at 250. Followed up with a two hour rest. It was a brisk morning with lots of wind that whipped my tail all day and caused me to eat through some wood. Boy was it worth it cause this bad boy is tasty and would you look at that smoke ring( that’s a first for me as well). Smoke on!! 3D187B60-E793-47D0-A826-570A8C57098C.jpeg 7334DBE0-7AC6-40B4-948D-5C4A87E5E204.jpeg C9198CCE-FDF2-44DE-8CA4-58BF90B5512C.jpeg BD2B141F-4B11-4187-B07A-CB53FB462D0F.jpeg 96250BD1-2891-468A-992A-AB45211ECFC4.jpeg 52FDE0E7-1866-4750-95AB-ED9E405BC920.jpeg

Looks great but I would like to offer that the cook temp was above 250 and maybe as high as 300/325 in order for it to be fully cooked in 9 hours.
At 250 it should have taken 12 hours.

Reactions: terryd and tag0401
Looks great but I would like to offer that the cook temp was above 250 and maybe as high as 300/325 in order for it to be fully cooked in 9 hours.
At 250 it should have taken 12 hours.
Thanks for the input. My median/target temp was 250 temp swings were between 230-265 on probes confirmed in boiling water. Pulled at 205 IT in the thick part of the meat. Next go round I will shoot for 225 pit temp

Reactions: terryd
Man, that looks good. I've been wanting to do a brisket but afraid of screwing it up. Looks like you killed it!
Jim

Reactions: tag0401
Man, that looks good. I've been wanting to do a brisket but afraid of screwing it up. Looks like you killed it!
Jim
That has been the reason I have held out so long especially with it being so expensive, I finally gave in and said if I screw it up ill chop it up and sandwiches or something!

Reactions: JLeonard
Holy cow, you nailed it brother... my first brisket went straight into the meat grinder with some frozen beef fat that I had in the freezer then into the chili pot.

The amount of meals you get out of a brisket and the versatility of the leftovers makes brisket a smart buy. Even for a family of two, a messed up brisket can be used for quite a few different types of meals so guys shouldn't shy away from them like they do.

And I know guys that don't get that nice of a smoke ring after rubbing crushed celery seed too fake their smoke ring so you did great, what ever you did worked so stick with it.

The reason you got such a great smoke ring was the extra wood you used because of that wind. :emoji_thumbsup:

I sure miss my old original Okie Joe offset cooker but I don't miss chase'in temps and messing with tuning plates to get an even temp across the cook'in surface. You just can't duplicate that TX brisket taste that an offset cooker give you. I can get close using my UDS with coals from a burn barrel but not quite.
Your brisket looks great but I can't let the huge gash on the bottom side slide without saying just think how much juicer it would've been without it. I hate when I open a meat package and see stuff like that, its like did some meat packer have a bad day or what?:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Looks great! I only hope that my first attempt will be that good. I've done butts, shoulders, chuckies, etc. In a couple weeks I'll be doing my first one. Like!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky