First brisket attempt turned out good! W/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmonkey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Twin City, GA
Tried my first brisket today. A full packer was too much meat so I separated the point from the flat and cooked the flat. I froze the point for another day. I was pressed for time so I foiled @ 165. Next time I will do the full cook without foil to crisp up the bark. I removed it from the smoker at 203 IT, then rested it in the oven at 170 for 2 hours.

Was it good? My wife called her sisters after we ate to tell them about how good it was. It could easily be cut with a fork. Look at the foil pic and you can see a puddle of juice in the middle. I was worried about drying it out, so I injected it with beef broth before putting it in the smoker and also added 1/2 a cup to the bottom of the foil when I foiled it.

I've seen where a few of the first-timers on here had trouble with the brisket drying out. I think injecting with broth would be the cure for that problem if you're going to take it all the way without foiling. It was smoked in an ECB with electric mod, with a water pan under the meat.

It was a 6# flat and took 5 1/2 hours to reach 203 at 240 smoker temp.

That's a puddle of juice in the middle in the foil pic.

One swipe with the knife was all it took to slice it.

I'm excited to try the point now.

Excellent job!!   Get to that Packer and you won't go back
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky