First Brisket and Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adamrappy

Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
My first brisket! Went small and got a 6lb from a butcher. I was gonna go with the meat church method but I kind of went all over the place and took a bit from a few sites. I used the hardcore carnivore black rub. My Traeger did well. Cooked it at 225 for several hours in an aluminum pan until the temp was 170. Then pulled it out and wrapped it in butcher paper and put it on the grill for another 2 hours at 250 until the temp hit 200. Here is where I ran into trouble as I’m a novice. I’m using the probes from my Traeger and the temps were all over the place. Logic says take the temp from the thickest part but it was less then 180 there but in other parts it was over 200 so I yanked it. I unwrapped it and let it rest an hour. It was amazing. What we didn’t eat I cubes and mixed with a reduced mixture of Jeff’s bbq sauce recipe and 2 cups of Dr Pepper and then back on the grill for another 90 minutes for burnt ends. Got great reviews from those wh partook.

Attachments

• 85FD842B-B496-445F-8F58-0C41D0E56178.jpeg
    85FD842B-B496-445F-8F58-0C41D0E56178.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 9F98FEC0-DF67-448D-9C5C-96CDE9643B04.jpeg
    9F98FEC0-DF67-448D-9C5C-96CDE9643B04.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 32
  • A06ECE2F-089A-4B07-BDAB-1AF1484EBB3D.jpeg
    A06ECE2F-089A-4B07-BDAB-1AF1484EBB3D.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 36
  • E9F157A9-9516-4113-A9AD-F28516CD670E.jpeg
    E9F157A9-9516-4113-A9AD-F28516CD670E.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 43
  • AE066D94-C49E-437B-9718-1593C77BFBE9.jpeg
    AE066D94-C49E-437B-9718-1593C77BFBE9.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 43
Looks like you did a fine job loosing you brisket virginity, and those burnt ends look awfully good also.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks amazing and wouldn't have guessed it was a first brisket! as for the temp probe, were you in the meat for sure or possibly the deckle fat for the lower reading? As long as when probing it the meat feels like warm butter and no resistance, you're good to go.

Nice work. I've used hardcore black ALOT. Delicious on steaks. How'd you like it on the brisket?
It was fantastic! I’m a novice but I watched a bunch of the hardcore carnivore stuff and that girl makes some great looking food. Had never tried that rub before but it was really good

Looks amazing and wouldn't have guessed it was a first brisket! as for the temp probe, were you in the meat for sure or possibly the deckle fat for the lower reading? As long as when probing it the meat feels like warm butter and no resistance, you're good to go.
Yeah that’s what I was hoping. Had to be like that as everywhere else was good. Novice question but when the brisket is wrapped in paper I didn’t want to poke a hole in the paper to probe it. I basically unwrapped it. I read online that you can also tell when a wrapped brisket is done based on how wet the butcher paper is but I think all that comes with experience

Yeah that’s what I was hoping. Had to be like that as everywhere else was good. Novice question but when the brisket is wrapped in paper I didn’t want to poke a hole in the paper to probe it. I basically unwrapped it. I read online that you can also tell when a wrapped brisket is done based on how wet the butcher paper is but I think all that comes with experience
Yeah, that would come from lots of experience and all depend on how much fat renders, cooking temp, etc. I just poke the probe through the paper and call it good. You can also learn to pick it up and go by feel as well. But again, that's probably many many more brisket cooks under the belt than I will probably ever get to.

I use the temp probe for monitoring temps, then when I get to 190-195* internal, I pull that probe out and use the same hole to poke and prod around for doneness feel. I know I'm walking in to some comments with that line... :emoji_laughing:

• Wow
Reactions: chilerelleno
Yeah, that would come from lots of experience and all depend on how much fat renders, cooking temp, etc. I just poke the probe through the paper and call it good. You can also learn to pick it up and go by feel as well. But again, that's probably many many more brisket cooks under the belt than I will probably ever get to.

I use the temp probe for monitoring temps, then when I get to 190-195* internal, I pull that probe out and use the same hole to poke and prod around for doneness feel. I know I'm walking in to some comments with that line... :emoji_laughing:
200.gif

Looks good! Nice job on your first brisket. Any other comments I have I'll keep to myself to keep it a family friendly atmosphere. :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Great job Adam! I can tell you that many first briskets never get shown publicly lol. Yours is great. I really need to try a rub with activated charcoal sooner or later

Reactions: TNJAKE
This forum has been a goldmine for me. Very addictive and I’ve found myself spending hours reading posts and drooling over all of the fantastic dishes. I have learned more from this forum then anywhere. I spent the day delivering burnt ends to friends of ours. Now they are gone but there is absolutely nothing more enjoyable then cooking food for people! You feel like Santa!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky