First Big Cheese Smoke Of The Year w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The PBRs have been flowing regularly, but the outdoor equipment hasn't unfortunately. It seems I'm either working on our nice days, or the weather hasn't cooperated. I see a ray of hope this weekend. I think it's supposed to be in the mid-30s. Hoping the wind doesn't pick up.

As for the Horseradish I'm surprised you can't get that one. I don't think it's safe to ship cheese in the mail without a special cooling package. Or I'd offer to send you some. Let me look into it.

Chris

edit: It's usually 2.50 for an 8oz block here. The sales are either 1.75 or 1.99.

Thanks man. I will look it up online I am sure I can order it from somewhere. Funny I used to hate horseradish but now I love the flavor. Hoping you get to toss something on this weekend!

Been meaning to do this for awhile now and just seems like I haven't had the time. Well a couple days ago I was home from work early and finally had the time to get this batch going. Usually buy cheese on manager special or sale when I can find it and then when I get a large batch I smoke it. Several different kinds here but the good majority of it is cheddar and cabot habanero cheddar.

Here is the haul out of the fridge.
View attachment 429684

I swear it takes forever to unwrap all of this stuff! Unwrapped and the cheddar cut up. On the racks ready for some smoke.
View attachment 429685

Used the Smoke vault for this one. Was about 35 degrees out this day. Using apple wood pellets. Put the AMNPS on the wood chip tray under the water pan.
View attachment 429686

Smoke rolling away. Looks like a ton of smoke when my camera took a flash.
View attachment 429687

3 1/2 hours and time to come off.
View attachment 429688

View attachment 429689

View attachment 429690

Into the beer fridge for an overnight rest.
View attachment 429691

Forgot I ran out of pint seal bags. Thank God for 1 day amazon prime shipping! Here it is after its rest.
View attachment 429692

All sealed up and ready to rest up for awhile.
View attachment 429693

View attachment 429694

View attachment 429695

Top drawer is the batch I just did. Bottom drawer is my older stash. Some has been aging for close to a couple years now.
View attachment 429696

I would highly recommend the habanero cheddar if you haven't had it before. Never tried smoked parmesan before so that one will be fun as well. Next batch I will get some more muenster, Monterey jack, and swiss done. Thanks for checking it out!

John
wow nice load of cheese you have there , i try smoking cheese also , however i have a couple of questions for you .. how long do you smoke for ..2-3 hours ... and at that temp or would you use a cold smoke adapter . then finally after crovacced would you ever store in a deep freeze , due to fridge being already full of other things .

thanks Dan

wow nice load of cheese you have there , i try smoking cheese also , however i have a couple of questions for you .. how long do you smoke for ..2-3 hours ... and at that temp or would you use a cold smoke adapter . then finally after crovacced would you ever store in a deep freeze , due to fridge being already full of other things .

thanks Dan

Thanks Dan. I smoke mine usually for 3-3.5 hours...its just a preference on smoke flavor for me. Some go shorter some go longer. What smoker are you using to do yours? Are you using a cold smoke attachment on a MES or are you using an AMAZN pellet rig? As long as the temps in your smoker don't get above 80ish(preferably way lower) you will be fine. Above 80 and you start sweating real bad and can look at melting. As far as freezing the cheese you could do that if you wanted. I have never done it but from what I hear when it thaws the texture of the cheese is different(more of a crumbly texture) but I don't know that for sure...just what others have said.

Reactions: dan the mano
Thanks Dan. I smoke mine usually for 3-3.5 hours...its just a preference on smoke flavor for me. Some go shorter some go longer. What smoker are you using to do yours? Are you using a cold smoke attachment on a MES or are you using an AMAZN pellet rig? As long as the temps in your smoker don't get above 80ish(preferably way lower) you will be fine. Above 80 and you start sweating real bad and can look at melting. As far as freezing the cheese you could do that if you wanted. I have never done it but from what I hear when it thaws the texture of the cheese is different(more of a crumbly texture) but I don't know that for sure...just what others have said.
yes i see , no i have a bradley smoker ... and also a cold smoke adapter , just havent used the adapter yet .i was just wanting to go and see that if it was cold outside below freezing , and me using this cold smoke adapter would be alright , i mean there should still be some heat from the smoke ..
thanks

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
yes i see , no i have a bradley smoker ... and also a cold smoke adapter , just havent used the adapter yet .i was just wanting to go and see that if it was cold outside below freezing , and me using this cold smoke adapter would be alright , i mean there should still be some heat from the smoke ..
thanks

I'm not too familiar with the Bradley smokers except they use the wood pucks. If It adds a bunch of heat you can add 2 liter soda bottles full of frozen water in the smoker to help keep the temps down. Might consider the AMNPS. I think they are about $30 and a 20 lb bag of lumberjack pellets costs me another $9. Well worth it IMO. But try out your cold smoker attachment first and see what happens!

Reactions: dan the mano
I'm not too familiar with the Bradley smokers except they use the wood pucks. If It adds a bunch of heat you can add 2 liter soda bottles full of frozen water in the smoker to help keep the temps down. Might consider the AMNPS. I think they are about $30 and a 20 lb bag of lumberjack pellets costs me another $9. Well worth it IMO. But try out your cold smoker attachment first and see what happens!
hey great .... i have done the ice cube in a pan on my traeger with this .. but a lot of hassel .. your point of the bottled ice water sounds good thanks

Been meaning to do this for awhile now and just seems like I haven't had the time. Well a couple days ago I was home from work early and finally had the time to get this batch going. Usually buy cheese on manager special or sale when I can find it and then when I get a large batch I smoke it. Several different kinds here but the good majority of it is cheddar and cabot habanero cheddar.

Here is the haul out of the fridge.
View attachment 429684

I swear it takes forever to unwrap all of this stuff! Unwrapped and the cheddar cut up. On the racks ready for some smoke.
View attachment 429685

Used the Smoke vault for this one. Was about 35 degrees out this day. Using apple wood pellets. Put the AMNPS on the wood chip tray under the water pan.
View attachment 429686

Smoke rolling away. Looks like a ton of smoke when my camera took a flash.
View attachment 429687

3 1/2 hours and time to come off.
View attachment 429688

View attachment 429689

View attachment 429690

Into the beer fridge for an overnight rest.
View attachment 429691

Forgot I ran out of pint seal bags. Thank God for 1 day amazon prime shipping! Here it is after its rest.
View attachment 429692

All sealed up and ready to rest up for awhile.
View attachment 429693

View attachment 429694

View attachment 429695

Top drawer is the batch I just did. Bottom drawer is my older stash. Some has been aging for close to a couple years now.
View attachment 429696

I would highly recommend the habanero cheddar if you haven't had it before. Never tried smoked parmesan before so that one will be fun as well. Next batch I will get some more muenster, Monterey jack, and swiss done. Thanks for checking it out!

John

I have, got some in the Fridge now and it's some good stuff, ain't for sissy's though

Love your smoked cheese great job........ Do you ship to Whitehouse, TX ???? :emoji_blush:

Gary

I have, got some in the Fridge now and it's some good stuff, ain't for sissy's though

Love your smoked cheese great job........ Do you ship to Whitehouse, TX ???? :emoji_blush:

Gary

Thanks Gary appreciate it! gmc2003 gmc2003 and I were trying to figure out how to ship cheese the other day. If I could figure out I way would be glad to send you some!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky