First Big Cheese Smoke Of The Year w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like your set for a few years!!!
We like Muenster the best & that's all I smoke anymore.
I just go to the Deli and buy the whole block in the cryovac.
They always ask how do you want it sliced & I say just weigh it & leave it in the cryovac.
They think I'm nuts!!!
Al

Thanks Al! I bought a huge block of sharp cheddar in a cryovac last year at a closeout grocery store. It was $26.03 for the 10 pound block. Needless to say I check back often to see if I can find that deal again!

That’s a pretty big haul John, should be set for awhile.

Good color too! That’s kinda where my stash is at size-wise. I might do one more before winter is over.

Like!

Thanks Joe! Yeah I am thinking the same. We used up a lot of cheddar throughout last year so I think one more smoke should do it till next winter. Some of the stuff I have in that bottom drawer I plan to age a lot longer.

cheese looks great, quite the selection. That Habanero cheddar sounds delicious. Wish I could find that here.
Looks good John. that should last for awhile! I like the Cabot sharp cheeses, I'll have to try the Cabot habanero sometime.

Thanks guys! Yeah I love the cabot cheeses. The habanero is my favorite. I hear they have a horseradish cheddar I would like to try but haven't been able to find it around here.

That's a good looking batch of cheese John!! Hopefully that'll hold ya for a bit. A couple weeks ago I managed to get about 20# smoked and put away. We were down to 3 small packages of cheddar and that just won't work. We go through a LOT of cheese and apparently so do you :emoji_wink: What I smoked might last us three months, and that's only because I also have another 20# that I bought in bulk and grated with the new toy.

LIKE the way you go bog or stay home!!
Robert

Thanks Robert! I was in the same boat went out to grab a block to shred on some burgers and realized I only had 3 left of the sharp cheddar. Try out some of the habanero. Its great shredded on tacos and just with crackers too. I plan to stop into Costco one of these days and buy some more in bulk just to shred.

Nice Job John!

And I thought I did a bunch....you got me beat.

So far our favorite is the pepper jack...

I really need a separate fridge as it really smelled up the house fridge, two boxes of baking soda later and it is finally starting to get back to it's normal smell.

BIG LIKE!

John

Thanks John! Smoked cheese smell is a good thing. Every time I would go grab a beer the last few days I would keep smelling it and had to remind myself about the cheese haha. Not a bad problem to have! I'm glad you reminded me I need to get some pepper jack for the next smoke. Muenster and Gouda are a couple of my other favorites!

Great work John. It looks like it took on some nice color. I've never tried the habanero cheddar. Going to have to try to find it around here. I do ghost pepper as shown in previous posts. Good stuff! You should be set for awhile! LIKE!

Thanks Joe! Yeah I have been looking for the ghost pepper cheddar around here without much luck. The habanero has some good heat to it

All looks fantastic John!! I love the go big or stay at home approach haha, thats a lotta cheese. I would really especially tear up some of that Cabot habanero smoked!! Funny I was looking at some Cabot cheeses at a store yesterday. I remember when Cabot first showed up at stores in Ohio was a Walmart and it was the cheapest option in the case aside from Great Value store brand. I loved it from day one. Over time they have established theirselves as an excellent cheese and the prices have increased accordingly. Love the seriously sharp and hunters sharp a lot.

Thanks Jeff! The habanero is excellent and even better smoked. Don't know if you guys have publix in Ohio but they run BOGO sales on cabot usually once a month or so so you end up getting the blocks for around $2.15 which isn't bad.

Super Job on that cheese John. As mentioned by yourself and others Cabot habanero, pepper jack and horseradish are my favorites. I also like doing the seriously sharp cheddars. Since Cabot is made here it's usually on sale monthly and there are a ton of varieties. I'll have to expand my next cheese sessions to include more of them.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Super Job on that cheese John. As mentioned by yourself and others Cabot habanero, pepper jack and horseradish are my favorites. I also like doing the seriously sharp cheddars. Since Cabot is made here it's usually on sale monthly and there are a ton of varieties. I'll have to expand my next cheese sessions to include more of them.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris. Its usually $3-$4.50 a block here so when it goes on sale BOGO I stock up. I like the white cheddars too. I cant find the horseradish around here but would love to try it. When you gonna bust the kettles and the PBR out man its been awhile?

Thanks Chris. Its usually $3-$4.50 a block here so when it goes on sale BOGO I stock up. I like the white cheddars too. I cant find the horseradish around here but would love to try it. When you gonna bust the kettles and the PBR out man its been awhile?

The PBRs have been flowing regularly, but the outdoor equipment hasn't unfortunately. It seems I'm either working on our nice days, or the weather hasn't cooperated. I see a ray of hope this weekend. I think it's supposed to be in the mid-30s. Hoping the wind doesn't pick up.

As for the Horseradish I'm surprised you can't get that one. I don't think it's safe to ship cheese in the mail without a special cooling package. Or I'd offer to send you some. Let me look into it.

Chris

edit: It's usually 2.50 for an 8oz block here. The sales are either 1.75 or 1.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky