First Batch Of Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daricksta

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
Untitled attachment 00011.jpg
20180630_114052.jpg
Untitled attachment 00019.jpg
Untitled attachment 00022.jpg
Untitled attachment 00004.jpg
Untitled attachment 00001.jpg
Untitled attachment 00009.jpg
Untitled attachment 00012.jpg
Untitled attachment 00011.jpg
I've been wanting to make Katz's Deli-style pastrami for years. Last St. Patrick's Day I bought a prepared corned beef brisket to cut down on the processing time. It looks like it was sliced so that it contained both the point and the flat. Next time I'll buy a flat and brine it myself. I basically followed Meathead Goldwyn's copycat recipe of the Katz pastrami which is on his website for the dry rub and cooking steps. It came out much spicier than I like so I'll try another dry rub next time. I had the brisket sit in the fridge in that dry rub for about 3 days. I smoked it in my MES 30 over Pitmaster's Choice wood pellets to 165°F IT. It was supposed to be steamed inside a kitchen oven at 250°F for about 4-5 hours to an IT of 203° but the IT never got up beyond 189°, even after 16 hours. I've no idea what happened. But after pulling it the meat texture was perfect. The steaming process is what gave it the nice, crusty black bark. Katz's Deli also boils its brisket but I skipped that last step. I think I'll have less problems with a flat on the next try. Anyway, I was able to get fairly close to the Jewish deli flavors I was looking for. I might upload a photo of my steamed pastrami with homemade Russian dressing and Swiss cheese on Jewish rye bread sandwich after I make it in a couple of days.

Sorry , went car shopping with my daughter today , so my focus is shot . Did not read the post , just looked at the pics .
The pics were all that was needed . That is fantastic . GREAT job !

P. S.
Last time I did pastrami ( eye round ) after slicing I dried about a 1/2 pound into jerky . It's good .

Reactions: daricksta
That looks fantastic!
We just love pastrami around here & make it all the time.
I might just have to get a pkg. out of the freezer for lunch today!
Nicely done!
Al

Reactions: daricksta
Sorry , went car shopping with my daughter today , so my focus is shot . Did not read the post , just looked at the pics .
The pics were all that was needed . That is fantastic . GREAT job !

P. S.
Last time I did pastrami ( eye round ) after slicing I dried about a 1/2 pound into jerky . It's good .
Pastrami jerky? That's an interesting idea. I think I sliced the pastrami too thin for jerky. But I'll be making another batch this summer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky